Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain Sander

1. Back To Top    #1

Captain Sander

Hello all, new pool owner here from new jersey. just purchased a house with an inground pool. according to my estimates (online calculator), the pool is around 23k gallons.....and its green..... previous owners stopped running the filter when they knew the house was sold. so lets kick through the things I do know.
    pump- Hayward northstar 1 1/2 hp
    filter- Anthony VA52- D.E. filter
    pool cleaner- Polaris 380 and Polaris booster pump.

been starting to read up on what I need to do to "get the green out". still a lot to take in and understand. I do not have the tester kit that you guys recommend, only a standard type kit the previous owner left me. did one test so far ph is high and chlorine is non-existent pretty much. good new is the weather is colder here now so its slowed the algae growth.

I have noticed the manual vacuum does not seem to have very much suction. I believe it is because the filter is to clogged up but I cant backwash it just yet due to the valve missing a handle and not functioning properly. have someone coming out to look at that in the next few days. so I guess im at a standstill until that gets resolved.

will be working on a proper signature today fyi

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Captain Sander

While you are waiting on the handle fix go ahead and order the TF-100XL Look in my siggy for the link. You are going to need it to clear the green.

For right now you can be adding a jug of Walmart Great Value bleach (plain bleach) a day to keep it from getting worse. Make sure the pump is running for at least an hour after you add the bleach.

If you are good with your hands we might be able to walk you through fixing your handle. Let us know if you want to do it on your own.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us cause we can certainly help you turn that green mess into your own clean, clear oasis.

Your first step though is to order that TF-100 XL test kit from TFTestkits.net. This is the best test kit out there and since your pool is green you'll need that XL version of the reagents to see you through a SLAM procedure which kills all the algae and cleans up the water. A Speed Stir device is a useful fun extra that really speeds up the testing.

Once you get that kit bring us your test results and we'll talk you through it. In the meantime delve into Pool School, and learn all about pool care.

Bring us any questions you have.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

IG,~24k gallon, plaster, D.E. Filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey Capt! that is not too bad! I can still see the steps! This will be a walk in the park for us!

We have cleared ones that were TRUE swamps with tadpoles and full eco-systems growing!

I love the shape and area. NICE pick of a property!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I am very handy, I'm a mechanic, but I have a home warranty I'm paying for so I'm gonna use that.

You should see the yard. I love it but it was totally over grown. Owner moved out a year ago.... Ever seen 6 foot tall dandelions?

7. Back To Top    #7

MONSTER dandelions! Yummm??????? LOL

So you have a little yard work in front of you! At least you have a pool to jump into once it gets clear to help you cool off!

Kim

8. Back To Top    #8

Except it's 45 out right now
    Here's the before of a small part of the yard

And the after

9. Back To Top    #9

NICE work! Does the waterfall work? Are there any fish in the pond?

Burrr LOL It was 75 for the high here yesterday and has been too cool for me to get in the pool for a while LOL

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Yea it does, I haven't seen any fish but was told there may be a catfish in there somewhere. It was 67 here on Saturday. 30 right now (7:00am). And will be back up in the 70's by Thursday

11. Back To Top    #11

Used the basic tester and found ph level very high. Going to pick up some Muriatic acid, and some bleach to get ready. Vacuum has next to no suction, need to get this filter backwashed. It's reading 30 psi when I run pump.... Way to high

12. Back To Top    #12

gorgeous pool!

It surprises the heck out of me when home sellers neglect the pool for the incoming buyer.

not cool!

You'll have this one cleared up in no time.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

In his defense, he has a brain aneurysm and lost his job....

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSander View Post
    In his defense, he has a brain aneurysm and lost his job....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    WELLLLLLLL that is quite a defense Poor thing! I hope he landed in a safe spot.

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

So still waiting for home warranty company to fix the valve.... Can't run filter till they do..... Anyone know what type of valve this is so I can maybe just do it myself for the right price.
    uploadfromtaptalk1445792325967.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445792345408.jpg

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh my I have NO idea what kind that it. I have seen a lot but have never seen one like that.....I am going to wait to see what others have to say.

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I think it's a Anthony Pool Brass Push Pull valve. I'm still looking, but it matches the pic I found.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I think it's a Anthony Pool Brass Push Pull valve. I'm still looking, but it matches the pic I found.
    This is an Anthony pool. So that would make sense. Where can I get one? Any idea?

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Considering how rare that part is. You might want to look into replacing it with something a little more common. The only other places I've found it listed has it at around $500 dollars. OUCH!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast