New pool build thread - Humble, TX

Oct 18, 2015
Humble, TX
Hey all! We are going to be signing our contract tomorrow and I was looking for some input. Please let me know if anything should be changed or upgraded as I do not know much about pools or pool equipment. I just started researching today! Thanks in advance and we are not doing the umbrella decking to the right of the pool as seen in the original concept. Thanks again and hope to share with y'all pics once we start the process!

Attachments

• Banuelos 2.jpg
    Banuelos 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 570
  • Document-.jpg
    Document-.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 572
  • Banuelos_001.jpg
    Banuelos_001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 565
More pics

85113d238c52487c046992bb57f18618.jpg
3a37826a67000d021e68a7b522f0f1d6.jpg

So I see that they are including a puck based chlorinator. That's fine for a few pucks, but eventually you will want to remove the pucks and switch to bleach or liquid chlorine. Each puck adds CYA, which is a good thing. But too much and you will start to run into trouble. Since they are not installing a SWG, you are not going to want the CYA to get over 40.

One thing you'll for sure want to do it get one of the recommended test kits. Test Kit Comparison
I'm partial to the TF-100. And get the speed stir. It makes testing fun!

There are a number of articles and things you'll need to read up on to ensure a troublefree pool. I'm sure there will be many folks along to fill you in those.

But I would say for sure to start with: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

And then: How to Chlorinate Your Pool

A few contractual and other random tips:

Retain 10% of payment till pool is up and running and all final items completed.
Ensure that you receive written lien releases from PB's subcontractors. ( They can legally place a lien on your house if PB does not pay them)
Specify type of Travertine in contract ( another member got slippery Travertine that was filled and honed, instead of natural)
Get PB to specify steel requirements in contract - 3/8" thick in 8"x8" squares and 6"x6" in heavier load areas like walls, spas, bond beams, etc
Minimum thickness of Gunite - generally specificed as not less than 6"
Ensure language that ensures PB will take care of drainage as required by HOA ( if applicable)
Tie in existing house downspouts to drains

Enjoy the process and good luck. Looking forward to seeing progress and lot of pics!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on the price differential maybe get the Easy Touch 8. It will allow more things to be added and controlled by the system for future upgrades. You can then add landscape lighting, Stenner Pump for chlorine additions, etc.

Tell her it's going to be worse than she thinks...it's true. See how well that goes over.

What a beautiful build this will be! I'm in to watch this one! Welcome to TFP!

Tell you wife the dirt and mess will be worth it- just like going through labor- at the end the pain is gone and you have a beautiful baby! Only this one won't keep her up all night with feedings and colic!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.