Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New pool build thread - Humble, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool build thread - Humble, TX

Hey all! We are going to be signing our contract tomorrow and I was looking for some input. Please let me know if anything should be changed or upgraded as I do not know much about pools or pool equipment. I just started researching today! Thanks in advance and we are not doing the umbrella decking to the right of the pool as seen in the original concept. Thanks again and hope to share with y'all pics once we start the process!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool build thread - Humble, TX

More pics

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!! We are glad you are here.

Could you list the equipment? I'm having trouble reading the information sideways.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Screwly,
    Looks like it's gonna be a realy nice pool.

Welcome to TFP!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry about that! This might be better

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

So I see that they are including a puck based chlorinator. That's fine for a few pucks, but eventually you will want to remove the pucks and switch to bleach or liquid chlorine. Each puck adds CYA, which is a good thing. But too much and you will start to run into trouble. Since they are not installing a SWG, you are not going to want the CYA to get over 40.

One thing you'll for sure want to do it get one of the recommended test kits. Test Kit Comparison
    I'm partial to the TF-100. And get the speed stir. It makes testing fun!

There are a number of articles and things you'll need to read up on to ensure a troublefree pool. I'm sure there will be many folks along to fill you in those.

But I would say for sure to start with: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

And then: How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the recommendation! I will for sure bring that up to my PB tomorrow. I will def be checking out those two links.

8. Back To Top    #8

This is going to be a nice pool! Those pics are NICE!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Kim!

10. Back To Top    #10

A few contractual and other random tips:

Retain 10% of payment till pool is up and running and all final items completed.
    Ensure that you receive written lien releases from PB's subcontractors. ( They can legally place a lien on your house if PB does not pay them)
    Specify type of Travertine in contract ( another member got slippery Travertine that was filled and honed, instead of natural)
    Get PB to specify steel requirements in contract - 3/8" thick in 8"x8" squares and 6"x6" in heavier load areas like walls, spas, bond beams, etc
    Minimum thickness of Gunite - generally specificed as not less than 6"
    Ensure language that ensures PB will take care of drainage as required by HOA ( if applicable)
    Tie in existing house downspouts to drains

Enjoy the process and good luck. Looking forward to seeing progress and lot of pics!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the tips! I will def be asking about these tomorrow. We added a couple of more features so PB is sending me an updated contract with specs. I'll post as soon as I get them. Thanks again!

12. Back To Top    #12

Depending on the price differential maybe get the Easy Touch 8. It will allow more things to be added and controlled by the system for future upgrades. You can then add landscape lighting, Stenner Pump for chlorine additions, etc.
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just got HOA approval and starting excavation next week! We added a firepit along with a 3' waterfall along with the weeping rocks and led lighting. Super excited and will take pics to show progress! Thanks for the help

14. Back To Top    #14

OH YEA! Let the mud and dirt begin!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Yea my wife is already going crazy just thinking about the mess our backyard is about to be.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Screwly View Post
    Yea my wife is already going crazy just thinking about the mess our backyard is about to be.
    It does get pretty bad, plus dogs and kids bring the dirt inside!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

Put up black out curtains so she cannot see it! LOL

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Tell her it's going to be worse than she thinks...it's true. See how well that goes over.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

What a beautiful build this will be! I'm in to watch this one! Welcome to TFP!

Tell you wife the dirt and mess will be worth it- just like going through labor- at the end the pain is gone and you have a beautiful baby! Only this one won't keep her up all night with feedings and colic!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Nursenini View Post
    Tell you wife the dirt and mess will be worth it- just like going through labor- at the end the pain is gone and you have a beautiful baby! Only this one won't keep her up all night with feedings and colic!
    I am saving this for your pool build! It really is a tough phase!!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast