Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain Fitting with ball valve for Hayward Filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain Fitting with ball valve for Hayward Filter?

Hi folks! First post here! We just completed our pool this week. Our Hayward Swinclear filter was installed in a tight area with the filter drain facing a planted bed. I'd like to be able to drain the filter and divert the water 30-40 feet away. I'd like to be able to install a 1 1/2" drain with ball valve so that I can easily attach a hose to drain the filter. Can this easily be done with pvc parts from a hardware store? Would the threads on a standard 1 1/2" match the filter? Any other thoughts? Parts needed?

thanks in advance!

updated to include pic. You can see the start of the plant bed on bottom. Ideally, I'd like to divert water between the bed and equipment (to right).

image.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Drain Fitting with ball valve for Hayward Filter?

Hello, & welcome to TFP.

If you could post some pictures of the situation it would really help.

Posting Images

I'm sure you can find what you need at the local hardware or depot and something can be easily made to adapt to your needs.

Acorrding to the SwimClear manual there is a Cartridge Filter Plumbing Kit # DE2400PAK2CS available also.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dom is correct, a photo or two would help, but from what you describe I would think a little PVC from the big box store will easily move the drain to where you need it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Edit:

What if you created a catch basin, to allow the small amount of water to enter and then with either a hard pipe or flexible pipe, re-route to where you want the water to go. I am assuming you have to close the drain each and every time.

If this was my system, I would not modify it, but work around it. It is possible this could also VOID the manufactures warranty.

Lastly, what if you took a wet vacuum and upon opening the drain, you quickly vacuumed the water out of there, helping it not enter the plant bed.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    Edit:

What if you created a catch basin, to allow the small amount of water to enter and then with either a hard pipe or flexible pipe, re-route to where you want the water to go. I am assuming you have to close the drain each and every time.

If this was my system, I would not modify it, but work around it. It is possible this could also VOID the manufactures warranty.
    Good thought. I was actually thinking of this. I just redid the yard as part of the pool install. It would require digging a 40 foot trench, etc. obviously a little more work. So I thought I'd explore all options in case there is something "easier."