1 hour of freezing vs. cover delivery delay and tons of trees

KKell

Jul 12, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hi guys,

i I just got a little dilemma:
My winte cover ended up on back order and won't arrive until Tuesday. I could just go ahead and do the necessary procedures now and just go back with a leaf net on Tuesday and then put the cover on, leaving the smaller junk in the bottom for the winter.

Alternatively I could keep my pump running 24/7 and then get another chance to vacuum the pool on Tuesday and the drop the levels and put the cover on.

The weather report right now has the temperature drop below 32 degrees for one hour Sunday and Monday morning each. My water temperature is 51 degrees right now.

here is my question: if it is freezing for only an hour, the water isn't that cold yet and I keep the pump running is that still dangerous?

please note that there are trees with crowns literally over my pool. I'll attach a picture in an edit so you can see that I would get a lot of junk in there if I dismantled the pump now.

3CHikyi.jpg

Sorry to hear about the delay. Best thing IMO is to keep the water circulating until you are ready to cover it. Keeping the pump running when the temperature is below freezing is the better thing to do since moving water is much more resistant to freezing than still water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.