Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 hour of freezing vs. cover delivery delay and tons of trees

1. Back To Top    #1

Rochester, NY

1 hour of freezing vs. cover delivery delay and tons of trees

Hi guys,

i I just got a little dilemma:
    My winte cover ended up on back order and won't arrive until Tuesday. I could just go ahead and do the necessary procedures now and just go back with a leaf net on Tuesday and then put the cover on, leaving the smaller junk in the bottom for the winter.

Alternatively I could keep my pump running 24/7 and then get another chance to vacuum the pool on Tuesday and the drop the levels and put the cover on.

The weather report right now has the temperature drop below 32 degrees for one hour Sunday and Monday morning each. My water temperature is 51 degrees right now.

here is my question: if it is freezing for only an hour, the water isn't that cold yet and I keep the pump running is that still dangerous?

please note that there are trees with crowns literally over my pool. I'll attach a picture in an edit so you can see that I would get a lot of junk in there if I dismantled the pump now.

24' round above ground 52" vinyl pool - 12690 gallons at 45'' fill.
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP1510Z1XEHC (1HP, SP).
    Hayward S180T 150lb Sand Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    NW Ohio

Re: 1 hour of freezing vs. cover delivery delay and tons of trees

Sorry to hear about the delay. Best thing IMO is to keep the water circulating until you are ready to cover it. Keeping the pump running when the temperature is below freezing is the better thing to do since moving water is much more resistant to freezing than still water.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits