New Build currently under construction--- plumbing diagram review

image.jpg
Hello All pool enthusiasts. I recently started a DIY Vinyl Grecian build of a 40.5 x 16.5 with 8 foot sit and step blue steps, 48" Steel wall and braces, 3'10" flat bottom pool I purchased from Royal Swimming Pools. I currently have two Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps. Pentair quad DE 80. Pentair 400 K natural gas heater. My plan is to use the Pentair load center for automation and power. All valves will be Jandy brand. My plumbing consists of two main drains, 2 wall skimmers plumbed with 2 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC. Each having their own pipe back to the equipment pad. There will be three wall returns plumbed with 2 inch schedule 40 PVC each on their own pipe back to the pad. There will be a rather large water feature having its own VS pump as well as 3 inch suction line to a 32 inch wall-mounted suction port. The waterfall return will be plumbed with all 2-1/2 inch schedule 40 pvc. The Sit-n-step has 4 jets with 2 1/2 inch schedule 40. And providing the light at night is 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G color LeD lights housed in stainless steel niches. Please review my plumbing diagram. Thank you to all that have made this forum possible and provided feedback so others may learn.

Have you considered any solar water heating?

Personally, I don't think I'd have so many individual pool return lines. I'd lump all the pool returns into one line. Separating out the step jets is probably okay.

I see a lot of 2.5" pipe. Are fittings readily available around you? I never see much in 2.5" around me. I'd probably stick with 2". Seems to work fine for most folks...very readily available, too.

Do you desire any sort of robot cleaner? Suction cleaner? Pressure cleaner? I have a 1" line tapped off the return that goes through a booster pump to run my Polaris 280 cleaner.

I'm not sure I follow what your spare (?) skimmer/drain lines are for? How will they be hooked up? Do you have skimmers in hand that take 2.5" fittings or will you need a 2"/2.5" bushing?

How many gallons do you expect the pool to hold? My rough calculations say about 30k gallons? (40.5 * 16.5 * 6) The 6 is taking 8' + 4' and dividing by two to get an average depth.

Here is my own schematic:

pool plumbing.jpg

Thanks for the input. I do have a plumbing supply house close by that has the 2-1/2". The spare lines will be capped off. They are just in case pipes ran to the pad if one should break I have a spare plumbed and ran to the pad rather than dig up the ground to make a repair. My skimmers needed a bushing to make the connection to 2-1/2". I estimate about 20K gallons. And the pool cleaner will be robotic.

Hi, a couple of comments.

First, I like that you are plumbing everything individually. It gives a lot of flexibility, and help isolate a leak in a pipe should one unfortunately occur.

Next - Im curious why you are using 2 1/2 pipe on the circulation system? 2 Inch normally is more than sufficient on a residential pool.
Did you select that size, because you did that research and compared the flow rate of the pump vs the flow rate and velocity rating of the pipes?

Next - I dont know much about waterfalls or the flow requirements, so I really can't comment on the pipe sizing for that.

Next - I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around floor drain back-up pipe. Most floor drains for residential pools do not have the option to have 2 pipes installed into them, (At least that I know of, Ive never seen one). So I'm wondering how this is supposed to work in the event the floor drain pipe sprung a leak under the concrete. To isolate the leaky pipe, you would have to close off the port for that pipe at the floor drain too.

Next- Pressure gauges. I dont understand why you have a pressure gauge between the pump and filter. Since a pool is an open system, there really isnt any concern of the pressure exceeding the rating of the pipe, such as there might be in a closed system, such as your home plumbing or irrigation system. The Filter will have a pressure gauge on it and the filter will is the "weak spot" in the system with regards to pressure. Any sudden rise in the filters pressure gauge can indicate there may be a blockage downstream of the filter. Any blockage of a suction pipe will result in a Low FLow Alarm on the intelliflo pump.

A better option would be to use a Flow Meter, but dont put it between the pump and filter. Instead, install it just in front of the SWG. When it comes to swimming pools, Flow in GPM is much more relevent and useful than pressure is. (Same goes for that gauge for the water fall pump).

Next Valves - No problem with where your valves are located as far as I can tell. Regarding the acutuator valves though, is the valve for the waterfall going to be actuated one? I would think that might be one that is often used and you might consider actuating it.

View attachment 43445
Hello All pool enthusiasts. I recently started a DIY Vinyl Grecian build of a 40.5 x 16.5 with 8 foot sit and step blue steps, 48" Steel wall and braces, 3'10" flat bottom pool I purchased from Royal Swimming Pools. I currently have two Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps. Pentair quad DE 80. Pentair 400 K natural gas heater. My plan is to use the Pentair load center for automation and power. All valves will be Jandy brand. My plumbing consists of two main drains, 2 wall skimmers plumbed with 2 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC. Each having their own pipe back to the equipment pad. There will be three wall returns plumbed with 2 inch schedule 40 PVC each on their own pipe back to the pad. There will be a rather large water feature having its own VS pump as well as 3 inch suction line to a 32 inch wall-mounted suction port. The waterfall return will be plumbed with all 2-1/2 inch schedule 40 pvc. The Sit-n-step has 4 jets with 2 1/2 inch schedule 40. And providing the light at night is 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G color LeD lights housed in stainless steel niches. Please review my plumbing diagram. Thank you to all that have made this forum possible and provided feedback so others may learn.

Divin Dave , thanks for your feedback. I do have 2 ports on my floor drains. They are the waterway plastic renegade series. One port on the side and one on the bottom. I'm guessing they build this for flexibility. I have decided to remove that idea of a spare pipe for the main drain. Inside these drains there is the option to put a screw in PVC plug in the hole you do not use. Whether that be the side or bottom. My thought was I would just move the plug from the good port to the broken port in the main drain if there ever was the unfortunate leak in one of the main drain 2-1/2" PVC pipes. My decision to use 2-1/2" on the suction was based on the articles in this forum. I had access to it and went with it. Lol. All of the returns are the standard 2" except the returns on the steps which are 2-1/2" again that choice was based on the articles on here I have read about spa jets needing to be increased in size, larger than 2" if at all possible. I really just future proofing as well. So far I have all the steel walls up, the concrete footer and equipment pad poured, 3 or so inches of pool sand on top of the footer for Cushing the PVC pipes, have most of the plumbing ran around the pool ( just not to the pad as I'm waiting for he go ahead from all of you here on TFP, the natural gas line trenched, the 2 pool light niches installed and just working on the step jets now. Hoping to backfill with 6A crushed limestone this upcoming weekend. I will remove the pressure gauges as you suggested. As far as the waterfeature pump I was hoping to control the on/off and flow rate using the VS pump and the intellitouch controller. Would that work or do I need a valve actuator? Thank you much for your suggestions. All I know about pools is what I have been reading on TFP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 67
Ok, well most of that is clear enough I guess.

Regarding the actuator for the waterfall. You're right. Just turn on the pump! LOL. Dont know what I wasnt thinking!

Good luck with the build, its looking good. Wet but good!
:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.