Jul 14, 2015
Fairview, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool dimensions are listed below.

I live in Franklin, TN so we drop below freezing several times in the winter.

The pool cover is the green thingie with the little clips that you raise with an allen wrench all around the pool.

2 returns, 1 main drain, 1 skimmer

Questions:

1. So we drop the water all the way below the returns? I don't think it was that way when we opened it this year so I want to make sure I'm doing it right for our climate.

2. Antifreeze is necessary for any pool you're properly closing?

3. For 'blowing out' the lines, just stick the shopvac hose in the intake below the skimmer and watch the returns until they're blowing air only?

4. I don't understand the comment about 'blowing out' the main drain because it seems unless the pool has no water, you can't blow this out right? Its on the bottom of the pool. What am I missing?

5. You just pour antifreeze down the tube under the skimmer? Is that it?

6. The compression fitting goes into the tube under the skimmer right? Do you put compression screws into the returns as well?

7. If it rains alot here and raises the water above the returns what does that mean? Will that ruin the 'closing' because the antifreeze could end up in the pool itself (see question above about compression thingies in the returns)

I'm trying hard to understand all this without bothering anyone but I wonder if this would be best handled by a pool company familiar with the pools in our area. I hate to do something radically different than SOP and get into a situation where I've misunderstood how to do this and ruin the pool. I had no problem learning the TFPT over the summer but closing scares me a little.

Thanks

Your comment at the end negates all the questions. If you are uncomfortable, pay to have it done. Schedule time to be there and watch what they do carefully.

Ask up front what chemicals they will be using and if you are unsure ask here before you let them use something that may cause problems down the road. The most common thing is no copper based algecides.

I am going to give you my experience of closing my pool myself for the first time this year next to your questions I quoted below (I bold and underlines my comments). But also if you have never done this and never seen it done and your so worried have a pool company close it for you the first year and watch everything they do and do it in the future (but that your choice) that is what I did.
Pool dimensions are listed below.

I live in Franklin, TN so we drop below freezing several times in the winter.

The pool cover is the green thingie with the little clips that you raise with an allen wrench all around the pool.

2 returns, 1 main drain, 1 skimmer (I have the same setup)

Questions:

1. So we drop the water all the way below the returns? I don't think it was that way when we opened it this year so I want to make sure I'm doing it right for our climate. I live in NY a lot of below 0 days and when my pool company closed last year they did not drop my pool that much they drooped it to 1/4 way into my skimmer and that is what i did this year

2. Antifreeze is necessary for any pool you're properly closing? I would recommend it especially in the skimmer

3. For 'blowing out' the lines, just stick the shop-vac hose in the intake below the skimmer and watch the returns until they're blowing air only? I take all of my equipment apart and i blow my lines from the equipment pad from the unions, but i have seen videos blow there lines from the skimmed, i feel better blowing it from the equipment pad

4. I don't understand the comment about 'blowing out' the main drain because it seems unless the pool has no water, you can't blow this out right? Its on the bottom of the pool. What am I missing? Its good to blow out the lines of the main drain then seal the line immediately to keep the line somewhat clear so there is no water on the surface (sorry if im not using the correct terminology)

5. You just pour antifreeze down the tube under the skimmer? Is that it? I recommend purchasing an ultra gizmo and screw it into the skimmer then blow the lines and pour antifreeze in it and then seal it with the cap, then tear some old foam pool noodles and throw them in the skimmer for added protection

6. The compression fitting goes into the tube under the skimmer right? Do you put compression screws into the returns as well? For the skimmer like i said i recommend the ultra gizmo, for the returns while your blowing them out and as there bubbling that is when you plug them with the rubber plugs or the screw on plugs.

7. If it rains alot here and raises the water above the returns what does that mean? Will that ruin the 'closing' because the antifreeze could end up in the pool itself (see question above about compression thingies in the returns) what kind of cover are you using if its a mesh cover then you may need to drain water out from time to time, if its a solid cover it becomes a non issue

I'm trying hard to understand all this without bothering anyone but I wonder if this would be best handled by a pool company familiar with the pools in our area. I hate to do something radically different than SOP and get into a situation where I've misunderstood how to do this and ruin the pool. I had no problem learning the TFPT over the summer but closing scares me a little.

Thanks

ok i think i get it a little more. watched a couple of youtube videos as well. looks like i'll be draining some water out.

still not sure where/how i would hook up the shop vac to 'clear' the bottom drain. i dont think my shop vac is powerful enough anyway.

Below are my responses:

1. So we drop the water all the way below the returns? I don't think it was that way when we opened it this year so I want to make sure I'm doing it right for our climate.
I drop the water right to the top of the returns. This way when I plug the returns, if I see bubbles then I know that they are not plugged correctly.

2. Antifreeze is necessary for any pool you're properly closing?
if you are sure that you do not have any water in your pipes than no they are not necessary. I've closed my pool 5 times so far, the last one w/o antifreeze. But it was on my mind all winter so I might add it as a peace of mind.

3. For 'blowing out' the lines, just stick the shopvac hose in the intake below the skimmer and watch the returns until they're blowing air only?
I rent a cyclone for $20 for four hours from a local pool store and I push the water out from my equipment pad. I use something similar to this to blow out my skimmers:
Amazon.com : Hydro Tools 89343 Skimmer Winterizing Kit : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden
Once the skimmers are blown out then I pour antifreeze through top of the gizmo.

4. I don't understand the comment about 'blowing out' the main drain because it seems unless the pool has no water, you can't blow this out right? Its on the bottom of the pool. What am I missing?
I only lower the water to the level of my returns (step 1), so I need to blow out the main drain. Once I see it bubbling for a few seconds, I close the valve.

5. You just pour antifreeze down the tube under the skimmer? Is that it?
I would pour it through the gizmo in the link and then through the equipment pad.

6. The compression fitting goes into the tube under the skimmer right? Do you put compression screws into the returns as well?

7. If it rains alot here and raises the water above the returns what does that mean? Will that ruin the 'closing' because the antifreeze could end up in the pool itself (see question above about compression thingies in the returns)
Since I know I don't have leaks in my returns (because of step 1) it doesn't matter if the water rises ( and it always does).

One thing I do, is cut a piece of a noodle and wedge it into the skimmer for better protection from ice-hardening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.