SwimSpa Water Testing Questions/Recommendations

Sep 7, 2015
OK
I have a H2X 19' Trainer Deep SwimSpa, Model 1270. ECO PUR water filter system. 231" X 94" X 60". SwimSpa. Spa side capacity = 225 gallons, Swim side capacity = 2045 for a total capacity of 2270 gallons. Ozone system, 4 pumps, 48 jets.

Question #1
Should I always run the pumps for a time before pulling a sample of water to be tested? or is it best to pull the sample before pumps run (they run every 30 min for 30 sec to check H2O temp)?

Question #2
Because this unit has two separate chambers (spa side and swim side), with varied temps (102 spa side and 88 swim side), should I keep readings the same for both? (I have read that more aeration causes PH to spike)

Clarification Question #3
​Boric acid - PH stabilizer and water softener per se?

Question #4
IYO, what is the most effective product to use when I drain the unit?

I appreciate any and all suggestions/recommendations,

LakeLizard

You should generally have circulation before taking a sample for testing. Stagnant water may not accurately represent the bulk water parameters particularly for pH and chlorine that might rise and get depleted, respectively, near the surface of the water (due to outgassing).

Because scaling is more likely at higher temperature you should target your water balance for the spa water temp. If the SwimSpa isn't plaster then that's easy and no problem. If it's plaster, then your pool will have a slightly lower calcium level than you normally would.

For boric acid, if the water is shared between the two, that's up to you. If the pH tends to rise a lot, you can use it for both. If the water is separate, you can use it for the spa only or for both -- up to you.

If you can keep the water circulation separate then you can use Ahh-Some for the spa side. If the water is shared, then that becomes more difficult. There is Ahh-Some for swimming pools, but it's not really the same thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.