Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Cover for 12x24 Above ground intex

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter Cover for 12x24 Above ground intex

Hello! I'm hoping someone out there has a great suggestion on how to cover this pool!! We took it down last year but this year we put a deck on one end of it and want to leave it up. It is a 12x24 rectangular pool. I was told I would have to have a winter cover "custom made". We live in Central Pa. Please help!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter Cover for 12x24 Above ground intex

I'm using a regular tarp over some floating, tied down jugs
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DFam View Post
    Hello! I'm hoping someone out there has a great suggestion on how to cover this pool!! We took it down last year but this year we put a deck on one end of it and want to leave it up. It is a 12x24 rectangular pool. I was told I would have to have a winter cover "custom made". We live in Central Pa. Please help!!

Winter covers don't seem to be anything more than a heavy duty tarp. Do you have an Ollie's in your area? they seem to have tarps at good prices there, or even a tractor Supply would have them.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Any city with lots of trucking company's will most likely have a tarpaulin shop. Look in the yellow page phone book, and they can make you a very heavy duty one up to the size and shape you need, and place as many grommets as you need around it. Will last you for years.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all! I found a heavy duty tarp at Home Depot, 16 x 32. Is that the right size for a 12 x 24 pool? We are going to drain the pool just under the intake valve and cover. How many "air pillows" should we use and what do we do when the snow comes? Sorry if I sound completely clueless, but I am new at this!!
    LOL

6. Back To Top    #6

We do have an Ollies but they don't have the size we need. I found one at Home Depot! Now I just have to figure out the air pillow thing and I guess use the Water Jug system to hold the tarp down.
    Thanks for your advice!

7. Back To Top    #7

Many people use air pillows, but some do not. The "real" reason for the pillow is to provide a cushion for ice to expand against if your pool freezes. The thought being if you did not have one, the ice would instead push against your pool walls.

However, many people also find the pillows useful for keeping water off the cover. It makes it easier to drain when there is a "moat" effect. Some people pump off their covers (I used to before mine started leaking) - it lets the leaves blow off. Others let water get on top - it helps with wind. You just want to keep any water at or below the normal water level in the pool when it is full.

There is not much you can do about snow, except look at it. As long as your cover is resting on the water underneath, it should be fine. If you have it stretched like a drum, the weight of the snow is going to rip it. Even in a bad winter, I tend to find a few days of a warm spell where there is meltwater in the cover. I just pump that off.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

For snow, there is a device called a roof rake that works great for pool covers. Make sure you get one with little wheels so you don't drag too far down and hurt the cover.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir