Never had high CYA issue before?

Oct 15, 2015
TUCSON/AZ
Wow, I have almost the identical issue. To save $$ on FROG dispensers I began floating Trichor a few years ago, and this year is first time I ever had algae that would not clear and 5 trips to the pool store I came across your site. I have always been compulsive about cleaning and sanitizing, but I hate to say not diligent about testing the water. It's been crystal clear and trouble free for years (until now). Time to better educate myself by grabbing knowledge from you all, who in my brief time on this site appear far more insightful and honest than any pool store anywhere... So my test results showed:
FC = 0
ALK = 80
PH = 7.2
CYA = 250

I just drained 60% (ouch$) and got CYA down to 120, abandoning Trichor in favor of Liquid Chlorine.
So my questions:
1) will the remaining crazy high CYA help stabilize the Liquid Chlorine indefinitely? Will the existing CYA now degrade on its own with no new Stabilizer added? Seems like I still need to get it down some more...
2) Starting to use Liquid Chlorine seems to mean I need to add Acid occasionally right? What kind of Acid and in what form?
3) Lastly, pool still looks really clean & new for 10 years old, but will soon will need a re-plaster and some reconditioning. Until then, this bout with algae has left some staining which scrubbed off clean on the exposed walls when I drained it down. But the algae stains under the water have not gone away yet. Once I dose it with Liquid Chlorine do you think the under water staining will come off?

I feel slightly silly having maintained my own Pools for almost 20 years and not knowing much of this, I guess I must have been doing something right being virtually trouble free, until now :)

Appreciate feedback from all! Cheers, Mike

Welcome to TFP!

My first question would be what are you testing with? If your FC is actually "0" you need to get that up to a minimum of 18 and keep it above 18.

Next, are you sure the stains you have are algae related and not metals form the old Frog? Have you tested?

What is your CH, that is the only test you seem to have not listed.

Hey Thx! I am using 4 way test strips... I think I now know I need better test kit. Since I just I recently completed the refill and added liquid chlorine, I will test again to check if FC level is up. I abandon that Frog years ago, I think it still has one dispenser left inside, that darn lid is on so tight and in such an awkward spot I could never get it open, but I don't think it's hurting a thing just sitting there, it's just an empty piece of plastic. I am pretty sure the stains are green algae related, I scrubbed enough of that stuff off the boulders and sides recently..., when I drained 60% the walls under the remaining water line still had vague stains prior to dosing the newly refilled water with Liq Chlorine. maybe this will dissolve the remaining staining? it's not harsh, more a dull remnants of algae..?... I'll take a look when I wake up tomorrow. Before I refilled I scrubbed the entire top 60% of the pool above the water line and it looks flawlessly shiny new! I also scrubbed everything under the water line but as I refilled I can plainly see that the drained part I scrubbed looks great and the 40% that wasn't drained drain looks 'okay' but still light staining all over... Looks like two different pools, top half great but bottom half not so much... Maybe more time, Chlorine, and scrubbing.. within the next few years I'll have to do a total make over anyways, I can see some thinning plaster, maybe that is contributing to the stains.?.. white plaster and white tile looks classy - until it gets dirty... i knew I should have went darker... oh well, thanks for your input! Cheers, Mike

Sorry to say but test strips are about the same as sticking your finger in the water and guessing at the numbers. Until you get an accurate test kit we would,be guessing at problems/solutions.

I recommend you order a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net As you are going to have to eliminate algae, get the XL option for additional reagents you will need during the SLAM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.