Non Hardening Joint Compound? Question about closing procedure in pool school

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Hi all...

Pool school closing procedure says the following:

Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Drain plugs - Remove the drain plugs on the pump, filter, and heater. I also remove the SWG cell assembly and various other parts of the Total Control system (sensors, acid tank, etc). The drain plugs get stored in the pump strainer basket, the Total Control parts go in the basement. Any drain plug hole exposed to the weather gets a layer of non-hardening joint compound on the threads to protect from rust.

Can someone provide an example of what that might be, different types of joint compound...

Thanks in advance...

Caliskier:

Probability is that any drain plug (from the heater only) exposed to the weather should et a layer of non-hardening joint compound to protect them from rust. Your filter and pump have plastic components, and I believe "Teflon lube" would be more appropriate for this situation. When putting everything back in the spring, slowly thread the components back together to avoid stripping the threads, etc. If your local hardware store does not carry the compound, try a plumbing store. You may just want to place a few drops of WD-40 (sprayed on a small brush as a temporary measure) until you purchase the compound. Any other metal, galvanized parts outside the pool should also be coated with the compound.

Amazon.com: Oatey 31230 Pipe Joint Compound with PTFE with Brush, 4 fl.Ounce: Home Improvement

Caliskier:

Probability is that any drain plug (from the heater only) exposed to the weather should et a layer of non-hardening joint compound to protect them from rust. Your filter and pump have plastic components, and I believe "Teflon lube" would be more appropriate for this situation. When putting everything back in the spring, slowly thread the components back together to avoid stripping the threads, etc. If your local hardware store does not carry the compound, try a plumbing store. You may just want to place a few drops of WD-40 (sprayed on a small brush as a temporary measure) until you purchase the compound. Any other metal, galvanized parts outside the pool should also be coated with the compound.

Amazon.com: Oatey 31230 Pipe Joint Compound with PTFE with Brush, 4 fl.Ounce: Home Improvement

Thank you. So, where I am going to put this is in the heater drain plug, its galvanized metal and is rusting around the plug holes. Previous owner did not care for it well. Concerned that the stuff is going to crust up over winter and gum up the plugs so they become unusable, is that something I need to not worry about? Total noob, never heard of this stuff...

I had bought plumbing grease at HomeDepot before I even posted this question, not finding or knowing what the joint compound was... this is the grease I bought,...

Plumbers Faucet and Valve Grease - - Amazon.com

Will that work or do I need to go out and get the joint compound...

I do not have a heater, but understand somewhat. Please go to a hardware store and purchase a small hand held steel brush to clean the existing rust. I have some that attach to a drill, making my life a lot easier as I clean surface rust (on whatever project I am working on). If not, by hand, while cleaning, turning clockwise and vice versa, use a vacuum to remove the rust at same time so it does not enter the heater. Then apply the compound. The compound does not gum up and that is what the purpose is. I do not know about the Plumbers Grease. Chances are that the rust is on the surface and will come out pretty easily. Even if some rust enters the heater, I believe the small amount is insignificant it enters the pool in the spring.

I do not have a heater, but understand somewhat. Please go to a hardware store and purchase a small hand held steel brush to clean the existing rust. I have some that attach to a drill, making my life a lot easier as I clean surface rust (on whatever project I am working on). If not, by hand, while cleaning, turning clockwise and vice versa, use a vacuum to remove the rust at same time so it does not enter the heater. Then apply the compound. The compound does not gum up and that is what the purpose is. I do not know about the Plumbers Grease. Chances are that the rust is on the surface and will come out pretty easily. Even if some rust enters the heater, I believe the small amount is insignificant it enters the pool in the spring.

Yeah, good call on that procedure, will get the stuff from the plumbing store, as for the drill brush bit, that's happening...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.