PH at 8 ok?

BPet

Sep 8, 2015
Wellington
Is it ok to keep PH at 8 if CSI is still kept near zero? Would I be causing damage to the pool? It looks like I will have to add 2 Cups of Acid every 2 days to keep my PH down at 7.8. Even if I get away with only doing that 3 times a week, that is 6 Cups/Week or 1.5 Gal/Month. Seems like a lot of Acid. My numbers are:
TA: 60
CYA: 70
Salt: 3400
CH: 400
FC: 5.5

Right now Pool Temp is 85 in morning, 90 in daytime - and that puts my CSI at 0.07 and 0.11 and respectively.

Thanks again for your help :)

The only issues with the higher pH would be metal staining if you had metals in the water. Of course, it would be hard to maintain that pH unless you could clearly distinguish between 8.0 and 8.2 (or higher) on your test kit. If you find you get more scaling in your salt cell, then you could lower your TA to 50 ppm.

The aeration from the scuppers is probably the main driving force for the rising pH, but you might also point the return closest to your SWG downwards if the pipe run is short between the SWG and that return. It may be that you are getting undissolved chlorine gas outgassing and that will have the pH rise and lowering your TA or setting a higher pH target won't help with that.

Chem Geek, thanks for the reply. My kit has 7.8 and then 8.2...so if its a little darker than 7.8 I'll consider that OK, if it looks closer to 8.2, I would add Acid.. I wish someone made a kit indicating 8.0 :( Actually, I think I have some of my returns intentionally pointed towards the surface in an effort to drive surface debris to the skimmer. I guess that was a dumb move giving my PH issues :) I'll point them lower and maybe that will help and I'll watch the salt cell. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.