New Owner Builder Pool - Buckeye AZ

She loves riding on the quad. I plan to have them help when possible, they will respect the end result that much more I think.

The old trampoline was toast. It was very old, but had also been greatly damaged during a storm when it flew off about 200 feet across the property and landed out in the street. I was out of town at the time and my wife and a neighbor dragged it back in to our property.

You are so on the right direction with your kids-------if they work for it or on it they will appreciate it more.

I am working with a family now to help their kids learn the value of what they have-food, roof over their heads, soft beds to sleep in. Up until now they did not have to do anything around the house. They demanded and got....well now they are rotten! That has all changed. Things are already getting better!

GOOD PARENTING!

Kim

I have to admit, our kids are pretty good. They do as they are told, or they lose something.
Also, I start them each week with a $10 allowance credit to be paid the following Monday. If they miss a chore, or I have to remind them to do it after it should have been done, they get a $2 deduct from their allowance credit. They keep track of their deducts, as do I, but on payday, I ask them how many deducts they had, and what I owe them. If they try to lie, I will give them a deduct before paying out what is owed. If they went negative, they owe me money.
With this method, they have quickly learned the value of the dollar, and work, as well as credits and debits, and not to lie. If I ask them to do extra work not in their standard chores list, we negotiate the deal first, when work is complete, the extra pay negotiated is added and paid on normal pay day (Monday).

Works for us, and they love payday, just like the rest of us.
Jason

Jason THAT is what it is all about!

I am going to add the "if I have to remind them to do it after it should have been done, they get a $2 deduct from their allowance credit" part to the system we are using with the family. Right now the kids are working to earn back anything that is not a basic need. It seems to be working so I have hope for the future for this family!

Thanks for sharing!

Kim

Yes I do BUT I do have to say that most (99.9%) truly care and want what is best for their kids. I have been in my school so long I have taught most of the parents when THEY were in Kindergarten. Once in a while I will get a new to the area person and can talk them through how things are done here! LOL

What do the kid's remember from Christmas????? Who they saw and took time with with them! MOST of them cannot name their presents!

Kim

Wow. I am IN LOVE with your design and precision. You have thought of everything. You cannot know how important it is to spend this much time going through all your thoughts and ideas prior to starting. You did it right! I changed my mind 100 times once my build started b/c I didn't think it out enough before. You have thought of everything. I love the stream idea, it is so unique and will add such a cool aspect to your build. Obviously the huge waterfall and slide are killer as is the sunk in Ramada.

I'm with Kim, anytime you need dog sitter, pool sitter, anything we are in! :)

Thanks Karyn,
I am still learning a ton, and likely to change things still as I go. This is not a race for me, but an investment in my family and memories we will be making, and getting us all out of the house more and enjoying each other, dont necessarily need a pool for that, but it helps. I plan to be done by Feb or Mar, if it is right, if it takes longer so be it. With that in mind, below is my latest possible changes.

OOPs, forgot to mention, My daughter turns 11 in May, I did promise her a big pool party for that. SO it better be done by then. She wants wristbands for her guests. I think 20 should be enough. No more. Haaa.

After texting for a couple hours with AZ Waldo (who has a great build going on not far from me), and researching some of what we talked about, I am looking to possibly add magic stream color laminars to the build. I would remove the aerators I had planned, or at least run the provisions for the laminars (electrical and plumbing). I believe with all the water movement we have with the stream, waterfall, and spa waterfall, the aerators will not be needed. Also, they were mostly for the kids enjoyment anyway. I think the laminars will add a cool effect, especially at night, that we all can enjoy. My wife gave the nod on these as well. I am still determining the cost/value-add though, as it could be a costly addition.

Jason

I am still on the fence as to deck

Here is what I am thinking for locations if I go with the laminars. What do you guys think?

Laminars%20location_zpsetgaf0u6.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I LOVE the one by the slide! It will get you as you slide down=fun! The other one would be nice also.

Here are my thoughts on the one by the bar------noise and splash. How loud are they? will they make it hard to hear if sitting at the bar or in the gazebo?

The one by the ledge-------same thoughts but mostly the splash would be my worry there.

Kim

Just a quick update,
the county has approved most of our permit, yay, as flood area stuff i was most concerned with is approved. But we are in a holding pattern with the zoning dept is telling me we can't have a pool in out front yard, whwhaaatt??? I guess they didnt check to see that our home faces west, while my address and mailbox is on the south property line. It is a little trickey as we are on a corner with an odd shaped 1.5 acre lot. Our pool area is definitely in the backyard, but is taking a bit to get them to understand. Ugh. Hoping to get a meeting with them next week to clear this up.
Ready to get this moving, and hate waiting.

Have decided on travertine 5 cm bull nose for the areas that get coping, and very possibly all travertine dekcing, but we are going to nix the stream, as the extra cost vs benefit is not there. But it can be added later if needed. Saves about 10k. Which helps with all the stone work and decking, as well as ramada area. I will post pics of stones we are looking to use this week.

I have other updates but this is enough for now.

I was JUST thinking I had not heard about your pool in a while and was going to look your build up just in case I was not seeing the updates!

WWWWhat??????????? front yard?? Will the meeting be at your house or at their work? I would take print outs of Google earth to show them your house and area. I bet they will see it then!

You have more updates but did not share them?????? But I want to know what has been going on! LOL

Kim

First let me say I truly love your pool design! I have a question about the movie screen. I am an engineer by trade and my concern with the movie screen would be the fact that projectors are definitely going to be obsolete soon. I know my company is getting rid of all projectors in meeting rooms and going with flat panel TV's. Also if you don't have the angle just right it could effect the viewing of the movie. Could you build a small gazebo thing to hold a large TV instead? I know this is probably more costly initially but after it is done then you could just replace the TV when it goes out. Plus projectors go through light bulbs like crazy and if you use them a lot they don't last that long.

I have friends (who have way more money than me) and their outdoor bar has the huge TV behind the bar and you can see it from the pool for movie nights. Perhaps rig the TV in the sunken bar somehow? Or have it so it can pull up or go down etc... Me personally I wouldn't have my design include a projector anymore just because TV's look so much better and are so cheap now for the sizes you can get. I think they had a 75 or 80" TV at costco that was 4k for under 2k dollars.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.