Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Copper sulphate based Algacide -

1. Back To Top    #1

Copper sulphate based Algacide -

The use of Copper Sulphate based Algaecides seems to be fairly common in Australia, however it is also expensive to purchase. I'm thinking this must be a fairly basic combination of Copper Sulphate and potentially Citric acid to chelate the copper.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what the formula would be for this? I'm hating paying retail pricing for what is a simple chemical.

FP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Copper sulphate based Algacide -

TFP does not recommend the use of any metal-based algaecides. They are quite common here in the US too but just because you can buy them does not mean you should use them. Cu ion concentrations above 1.5ppm in pool water increases risks for Cu scaling and staining especially in plaster pools. Metal based algaecides are also bad for salt water chlorine generators. There are other algaecides that are just as good as Cu-based products (borates and Polyquat-60) but algaecides are unnecessary if a pool has a properly maintained FC/CYA ratio.

You can certainly try to mix up your own "potion" but be careful with citric acid as it will lower your pool's FC with one potential by-product being chloroform production.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your goal in using an algaecide? It CAN be used as a preventative in certain situations, but not as a cure. Do you have any alternatives to a copper-based algaecide? Copper is usually a no-no due to its side effects.

4. Back To Top    #4

Happy to take advise from this group as there is a lot more knowledge.

My main issue is dealing with Black algae in the pool. I have a pebble-crete pool and am brushing this to remove the membrane from the algae but this is proving difficult with this type of surface.

Any guidance appreciated.

F

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Hi Farsonic,

I'm sorry to hear your dealing with black algae, but not to worry because we can help.

Unfortunately, algaecide won't kill black algae, you'll need to do a Slam http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl kill it out.

The copper in the algaecide as previous explained is also not recommended because it can cause you additional issues.

If you don't mind, there are a few questions you can answer, and things you can do to help us be able to help you better.

1) How are you testing your pool levels?

2) How does your pool look? Pictures of your pool, and equipment etc. are really helpful, and often can help us locate additional algae hiding spaces, plus we also really love looking at pictures around here too. .

3) Also please add your Pool and Equipment information to your Signature by selecting Settings at the top right of your screen, then Edit Signature on the next page under the Bold MY Settings tab. Here's a link that tells the type of info to include in your signature. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efore-you-post

Here's a few links for you to review when you get a chance:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/180-Black-Algae
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

I know it probably seems like a lot of info, but not to worry though because we will be with you every step of the way to help you get that black algae killed out of there.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have a long the way because we are here for you.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Currently using Aquacheck7 test strips for majority of testing
    I also cross check Ph levels using a calibrated digital Ph meter (that I also use for the home brew water and the fish tank)

Will upload some pictures of the pool shortly. However I suspect the main problem really is poor circulation, especially after moving to a Hurlcon Viron P600 (I think) pump. While the pump is low on energy costs it has a trade off of having **** throughput/flow capacity. Might need to reconsider this decision.

Pool cleaner is a Aquabot Breeze 4WD, which works really well .... works better after untangling the cords. I would have thought using this robot would have aided int water re-circulation.

Pool is salt water and uses a chlorine generator

Filter is sand based

I'll update my signature to include this

7. Back To Top    #7

Signature updated....will go and confirm a few model numbers etc and update
    Kidney shaped pool (90,000 liters), Pebble Crete, Hurlcon RX400 Sand Filter (Sand Media)
    Dolphin X 40 Plus Robot, Viron P600 EvO Pump, CrystalClear RP4000 Chlorinator
    Taylor K2006 , Recommended levels from poolcalculator.com try to be maintained
    Pool has a crazy cave with a waterfall over it :)

8. Back To Top    #8

Farsonic,

I have the P600's baby brother the p320 in my 40k Litre pool, I did some calculations that 800rpm would theoretically have been more than enough to keep my pool clean, however 800 rpm isn't enough to keep the SWG cell full and not trip out with a low flow error. The P600 should be more than enough, you can try and move your return eyeballs if you think you have dead spots.

The answer I suspect will be the same as always, you don't have enough FC for your CYA level, you'll need an accurate set of results which you wont get from the strips or the store.
    I'm not sure how much of what is taught in the pool school here you know but the FC/CYA page is a good place to start.

Simon
    --
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).
    --

9. Back To Top    #9

ok, final signature update with all the spec's for pool/equipment etc
    Kidney shaped pool (90,000 liters), Pebble Crete, Hurlcon RX400 Sand Filter (Sand Media)

10. Back To Top    #10

ok, how do I get an accurate test if not from Strips or the Store?

FP

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by farsonic View Post
    ok, how do I get an accurate test if not from Strips or the Store?

FP
    Sorry, realised that was the dummest quote of all time.

So, strips are bad, that I can understand. So your saying we don't trust the store to give us a valid test, not suprising as they are there to push product.

So, what is the recommended test kit you can get in Australia?

FP

12. Back To Top    #12

Amazon.com sells the Taylor K-2600
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

I found something from NQ-100 Complete Test Kit - NQ Pool Test Kits which seems to be like the TF100 the folks like here, they were low on stock though the other day.
    Without knowing your cya you can't really be on top of your FC, now you have algae its more important than ever to have good numbers to fix it.
    Ive stuck my head over the parapet here a couple of times so am hesitant, being in Aus we don't have cheap easy access to the good test kits, I have a ColorIQ which I bought from the US, (they wouldn't ship the TF100) this however won't give you FC over 10ppm, I think the Taylor K2006 is the closest we get here, google will find it.
    --
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).
    --

14. Back To Top    #14

The Taylor K2600 is perfectly fine
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    Amazon.com sells the Taylor K-2600
    Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    The Taylor K2600 is perfectly fine
    I'm sure it's just a typo, but there is no Taylor K2600.

The Taylor kit that is recommended is the K-2006. However, I recommend you go with the K-2006C as the smaller reagent bottles in the K-2006 will be used up very quickly, especially if you are SLAMming the pool.

See the article in Pool School, Test Kits Compared for more info.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

I have the Taylor K2006C and agree that if you are going the Taylor route, the C is the way to go.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I'm sure it's just a typo, but there is no Taylor K2600.

The Taylor kit that is recommended is the K-2006. However, I recommend you go with the K-2006C as the smaller reagent bottles in the K-2006 will be used up very quickly, especially if you are SLAMming the pool.

See the article in Pool School, Test Kits Compared for more info.

Dom
    Yes that was a typo I meant the 2006