Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New frustrating build in Arizona

1. Back To Top    #1

New frustrating build in Arizona

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New frustrating build in Arizona

Looks like it is going to be an amazing pool!!

For continuity keep all your questions/comment here for now.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I will let the pros weigh in but nothing looks correct in these images. The lower image shows waterline tile installed but you cannot see the gunite on the surface. It looks like the waterline tile is attached to dirt. The whole pool shell looks like it is at the same level as the surrounding yard. Should it not be at least a little above grade to drain water away from the pool? I thought that the waterline tile should be installed near the end of the build along with coping just prior to plaster.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm confused. I feel like part of the thread is missing. Or it just could be me- I'm easily confused!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I'm confused, too....
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

LOL I'm always confused, but I still wanted to say, Hi Motocaptain, and Welcome to TFP, We're all really glad you're here.

I'm sorry your build is frustrating. Has there been a lot of issues since they started? Feel free to share your story, concerns, or ask any questions you have, and perhaps we can help.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more pictures as the build progresses. We love pics!!!

Again Welcome to TFP, and have a wonderful night.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Whoops!
    yes, I meant to say Hi! Welcome!

what's frustrating about your build?
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

8. Back To Top    #8

All concrete was jackhammered out after 2 days because of cracking . Waterline tile are partially set due to falling off numerous times .. Like I said frustrating ! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444885067.251445.jpg

iPhone using Tapatalk -

9. Back To Top    #9

Tile elevation is set at the high point of the bond beam. It is possible that in some places the top the tile will be higher than the top of the bond beam. They should fill in behind the tile with mortar before setting the coping. The reason is during forming or shooting the gunite the forms may shift. As a result the bond beam may not be perfectly level. On the other hand the tiles must be perfectly level or the water line will look odd.

In terms of grade, looks like they backfilled to the top of the bond beam. If you are using pavers, this is probably the proper elevation for the sand bed +field paver to meet the thicker 2" coping. If you are using a concrete deck it is more than likely too high. Some other things need to be considered at this point: Backfill will settle either through mechanical vibration or rain; some builders will backfill for safety or convenience and then set true grade later in the project; their may be some miscommunication between the builder, the excavation sub and the decking sub.

The only person who can accurately answer these questions is your builder.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Wow Motocaptain. I'm so sorry you have been going through all that. What a mess, and yes, I can see exactly why it's been so frustrating for you. Again I'm truly sorry. Just smh.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes grade is appx 2 below patio height concrete was poured and slopped towards drain at patio edge. Concrete / improper mix / bad batch / stamped too dry who knows was all torn out after a few days .. My pool is slowly going backwards in build .. Here's a pic of the tear out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444926501.284101.jpg

iPhone using Tapatalk -

12. Back To Top    #12

Top of bond beam to top of patio = 2"? Or, 2" of slope (2" difference between top of patio and top of pool coping)?

What is the problem with the concrete in the picture? It is not clear from the picture. Who decided to tear out?

Generally concrete should be a minimum of 4" thick to prevent flex cracking and should have mesh or deformed bars to provide shear strength.

13. Back To Top    #13

PB used 6 sack 3/8 slump no rebar , no fiber colored mix stamped ATTACH]43410[/ATTACH] concrete cracked around perimeter ..

iPhone using Tapatalk -
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

15. Back To Top    #15

what builder was this?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

16. Back To Top    #16

I've got more issues than just concrete , how does the plumbing look with electric in same trench and no shading of pipes .. Can't get pictures load ! Trying photobucket ..

iPhone using Tapatalk -

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Yikes!! No wonder you are frustrated!! That's awful! Make sure you have EVERYTHING WELL DOCUMENTED!! You never know if you will need all of this for down the road...
    hopefully, the PB will get it all worked out and provide you with a quality product.
    Denise-TFP Guide

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

The plumbing/electrical in the same trench pics in comment #16 are Not loading, but after seeing all the other problems on the other pics, I can just imagine.

Wow Moto. All those problems that you've had, I am so sorry.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they get all the issues resolved, and you get your pool built correctly very soon.

19. Back To Top    #19

iPhone using Tapatalk -

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Woooooo now that's really scary. I'm not a pool builder, but I'm thinking that common sense alone would tell them that that's not a good idea at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast