Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing salt cell

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing salt cell

Seems I need to replace my T-15 cell. Getting a continuous low salt reading of 2600. Brought a sample of water to pool supply store, their reading was 4k. I have cleaned the cell and filters recently. This has been going on for about 2 months with a low salt reading. I've added at least 2 bags of salt in that time. Did get the number up to 2900 once but it's back down to 2600. Called Hayward tech support, went through the diagnostics. He recommended getting a new cell. After researching prices for a new T-15 I noticed it's for a 40k gallon pool. My pool is 10k-15k gallon. Can I or should I switch to a lower model of the Hayward or just stick to the T-15 or maybe another brand?
    Inground SWP, 10,000 gals., Pebble Sheen, Hayward pump cartridge filter, Aqua Rite SWG, year installed 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing salt cell

The larger cell will last longer because you are not having to run it at 100% all the time to keep up with demand. It is always a good idea to get a larger cell than needed.
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner M View Post
    The larger cell will last longer because you are not having to run it at 100% all the time to keep up with demand. It is always a good idea to get a larger cell than needed.
    +1

Stick with the T-15. It will save $$ in the long run.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner M View Post
    Thanks for the info. The one I have only lasted 4 years. Is that the usual life span of the cell?
    Inground SWP, 10,000 gals., Pebble Sheen, Hayward pump cartridge filter, Aqua Rite SWG, year installed 2011

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I would stick with the 40k cell, the cost savings of downsizing will be minimal, if there is any at all. Living in AZ you are going to get a lot of use out of that cell, definitely stick with the 40k. It will last longer and handle the higher temps more easily.