Keep main drain closed after blowing out lines?

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
Just trying to make sure this is correct.

After the lines have been blown out, the pool service left the jandy valve with the main drain side closed.

This is correct?

If, by chance, the jandy valve was moved at some point over the winter, does that mean water could get into the main drain line, and if there was a freeze, crack the main drain line?

I'm asking because I've got a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and they could quite easily go up to the valve and touch it during the winter months.

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct,, blow out the main drain and shut the jandy so the main drain is OFF - 'air locked'.

My jandy has a little thumb nut I can loosen and remove, then remove the handle.

You could do a few things:

1) You could remove the Jandy Valve completely so your children to not mess with it. Take some pictures before you do this so in the spring you can put everything back.

2) You could place a black strap (or a few of them) and tighten them enough where the valve will not move. There are pins that you can place next to each other that will lock everything in place. I also put another strap for the valve. You can see the pins are the 180 & L90 (You may not be able to see this). It is the valve on the left.

IMG_1045.jpg

3) As extra insurance, you can open up the pump housing and place black rubber plugs on both the suction and return side.

I never blow out my main drain. Water will seek the lower level and you will not have a problem. My pool is 37 years old and never worried about the main drain. But I don't live in upper USA. But my lines would freeze if they are above ground and water got into them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.