Is small solar heater system worth the work?

brewtus

LifeTime Supporter
Hello all. It's getting close to that time of the year here in S.E. Michigan. (3-4 weeks :lol: ).

Anyways, I'm looking into a solar heater for my 15x30 above ground. The biggest system I can fit in the area is 80 square feet. (2- 2 x20 panels, rack mounted). I could possibly squeeze a third panel in, but I don't know if it will have enough exposure to the sun for any benefit.
I rather not have a 'wall' of solar panels blocking my view off of my deck, but if I absolutely had to, I could raise the whole rack to allow full exposure of the third panel.

I'll be using a solar cover at night, and into the day during this years swim season.

I'm not looking for bath water in early-mid June, but at least maybe upper 70's. Is it even possible to get the water that warm with a 'smaller' solar heater system?

Is it even worth it to mess with a solar heat system, since I'll be well below the recommended 50% pool surface rule using only 2 panels?

Naturally, the local pool dealer says I'll be fine, but I want to be sure before I start into this project.

I think it would be. I have 192sqft for my 20X36 and it does very well. I got the pool to 96 during a cool sunny spell late last summer when I ignored the pool. It won't take as much tilt as is recommended either. Point them where the sun is during the swimming season. That would be flat where I live.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.