SC-60 Cell failure in progress?

Hi all,

I think I am nearing the end game here. I would like to re-cap my full FC/CC test results from the past week or so:

4/19 8pm: Added 1392 oz of 6% Bleach
4/19 10pm: FC = 12.0, CC = 1.5
4/20 7am: FC = 10.0, CC = 1.0
4/20 8pm: FC = 7.0, CC = 0.5
4/20 8pm: Added 2262 oz of 6% Bleach
4/20 10pm: FC = 44.0, CC = 1.0
4/21 7am: FC = 39.5, CC = 0.5
4/21 8pm: FC = 33.5, CC = 0.5
4/22 7am: FC = 30.5, CC = 0.5 (my last test before leaving town)
4/22 9pm: FC = 23.5, CC = 0.5
4/23 7am: FC = 23.0, CC = 0.0 (yay! overnight FC loss stops here!)
4/23 9pm: FC = 20.5, CC = 0.0
4/25 9pm: FC = 17.0, CC = 0.5 (my first test upon returning home)
4/26 9pm: FC = 13.5, CC = 0.0
4/27 9pm: FC = 10.5, CC = 0.0

So, it's almost time to try the SWG again. Just for kicks last night, I activated the SWG for a couple minutes by using Boost Mode. The message has changed from "Check/Clean Cell" to "Low Amps." Running the Test mode reveals 14 Volts, and 2.9 Amps which is close to previous results. I then turned Boost Mode off, since FC is still high from the bleach.

To be prepared for SWG failure, I have already ordered a new SC-60. With luck, I will get more milage from the current one. But at least I will be armed with a replacement, should it be needed.

Thanks,

Kelly

YesRushGen said:
Hi all,

I think I am nearing the end game here. I would like to re-cap my full FC/CC test results from the past week or so:

4/19 8pm: Added 1392 oz of 6% Bleach
4/19 10pm: FC = 12.0, CC = 1.5
4/20 7am: FC = 10.0, CC = 1.0
4/20 8pm: FC = 7.0, CC = 0.5
4/20 8pm: Added 2262 oz of 6% Bleach
4/20 10pm: FC = 44.0, CC = 1.0
4/21 7am: FC = 39.5, CC = 0.5
4/21 8pm: FC = 33.5, CC = 0.5
4/22 7am: FC = 30.5, CC = 0.5 (my last test before leaving town)
4/22 9pm: FC = 23.5, CC = 0.5
4/23 7am: FC = 23.0, CC = 0.0 (yay! overnight FC stops here!)
4/23 9pm: FC = 20.5, CC = 0.0
4/25 9pm: FC = 17.0, CC = 0.5 (my first test upon returning home)
4/26 9pm: FC = 13.5, CC = 0.0
4/27 9pm: FC = 10.5, CC = 0.0

So, it's almost time to try the SWG again. Just for kicks last night, I activated the SWG for a couple minutes by using Boost Mode. The message has changed from "Check/Clean Cell" to "Low Amps." Running the Test mode reveals 14 Volts, and 2.9 Amps which is close to previous results. I then turned Boost Mode off, since FC is still high from the bleach.

To be prepared for SWG failure, I have already ordered a new SC-60. With luck, I will get more milage from the current one. But at least I will be armed with a replacement, should it be needed.

Thanks,

Kelly

Overnight FC loss stops here ?

Sorry about the cell. Bummer :cry:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Overnight FC loss stops here ?

Sorry about the cell. Bummer :cry:

Yes, I did mean FC loss! Thanks for the correction, :oops: I have edited my original post.

I'm not quite ready to call the cell dead, but regardless, we are rapidly approaching the verdict. :lol: Recall that, at my first posting, I tested for chlorine coming directly out of the cell and it was present. I think in hindsite, we can infer it was immediately being consumed by my FC demand. Now that things are under control.... Well, my fingers are still crossed! :)

Poolsean said:
The other is to visually inspect the blades within the cell. For the SC-60 cell, inspect the center and two outer blades for wear on the ends of the blades. It will appear as though the ends are degrading and shorter than the other blades

Sean, I dunno if you're still monitoring here, but being at the end of shock treatment, I visually inspected the cell and rinsed it. It does, in fact, appear as if the outer and center blades are shorter than the others.

FC is presently aroung 6-7. That's simply a guess based on darker than 5 for the OTO test. I'm waiting for sundown to do the DPD test. Tonight will probably be when I turn the SWG back on.

As noted in a prior post, I have a replacement on order in case things don't work out.

Thanks for all your input,

Kelly

Ok gang, I have some ENCOURAGING news! :-D

4/28 7pm test showed FC = 9.0, CC = 0.0

I went ahead and activated the SWG and set the purifier to 50%, and placed it in Boost Mode - so that it would run a full 24hours.

Last night, 4/30, I tested and got FC = 10.0 and CC = 0.5.

I can think of no reason the FC would have gone UP other than that the SWG is PRODUCING CHLORINE!!!

Over the weekend, I will attempt to get it dialed in to maintain about FC=6.0

More to come...

It is encouraging news! But, hate to even bring it up, did you repeat the overnight test of the FC with the SWG off. Are you certain your FC is holding? You still need to make sure it's holding before you turn on the SWG. :wink:

Yes, sorry that my post was not complete... I think I was so excited I forgot to post that fact. I am assuming the overnight loss has remained stopped.

The drop from 10.5 to 9.0 was over a 24 hour period, and so I assumed the loss of 1.5 was during daytime.

I will repeat the overnight test though, to be absolutely certain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Greetings,

I performed an overnight test, and verified my FC was holding at 9.0. On Saturday, I cranked down the purifier setting from 40% to 30%.

After several hours, I tested FC at 7.0.

I will do another overnight test to see that it's holding 7.0, and then lower again if necessary.

Oh, the other thing that's different is the Pool Pilot Test. It is now showing 16V and 3.1Amps - these are slightly higher than my last reported results.

Also, from another thread I started, it is possible my volts are running lower due to my higher-than-needed salt concentration of 5000ppm.

cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.