Hayward Superpump ceramic seal replacement frequency

May 28, 2015
Quebec, QC
As a preventative measure, should the ceramic seal on the Superpump I be replaced at certain intervals? Other than noisy operation, as mentioned in the owners manual, are there any other useful criteria to determine replacement? If it fails, are there obvious leaks under the pump?

Not sure on the noise aspect, that usually means the bearings are shot from being exposed to water during operation
for quite some time and thus losing the lubrication. (After a seal has failed way earlier)

I just replaced all 3 seals to my Hayward Superpump.

two of them were in really bad condition though...the diffuser to wet end seal was swollen 5x what the new seal looked like
and the ceramic seal was badly pitted and leaked like a sieve.

Unless the pump is leaking it should be fine. It's been my experience that only very old or "ran dry for extended periods'
pump seals need replacing.

When the ceramic seal goes, you will see anything from a small bit of moisture under the pump after running a few hours
to a constant drip like mine was.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.