Pump run time vs SWCG

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
I found I can keep my pool clean by running the pump only 1 to 2 hours per day on average. If I had a Salt system, I'm guessing I would have to run the pump much longer to generate enough chlorine. I figure it costs about $0.25 per hour to run the pump, so I'm happy to just run it a short time per day and can put up with the hassle of adding bleach every day.

I am finding this to be the case also. I have been sold on SCWG from the beginning but have not added it yet. So in the meantime, I have been manually adding chlorine and because I have no trees and very little debris getting in the pool, I found that I can run my pump on high for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and it skims quite well. (I still have to brush and vacuum once a week to keep it pristine on the bottom and sides).

I figure if I had a SWG, I would be running the pump at least 8 hours a day or so (on low) in order for it to keep up with chlorine demand. My current electric rates are at 6 cents a KWH.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? BTW, I'm dosing with 8.25% bleach from Walmart which is $2.96 for 121 oz. (not quite a gallon). My pool has been using about a half a gallon every other day

If this is working for you don't mess with it! :)

If and when you put the SWG in you can keep the hours low if you increase the % of chlorine production time. Perhaps running it at 100% for the 2 hours daily to see if it provides you enough FC, and if so try backing off the percentage until you notice a difference.

Personally my goal is to use my SWG at the lowest setting possible (and its large for my pool) as they do have a certain lifespan and I want to maximize that. I have many trees blowing schmutz into my pool when opened so like a longer pump run time to keep it skimmed.

I am now at 4 hours per day at 40% setting (mainly for solar). But I will probably be dropping down to 1-2 hours per day now that swim season is coming to an end.

You do have to run pump longer with SWCG. Way more in summer than winter. I have a VS pump that only uses about the same as a 60w light bulb so I don't mind running it as long as I like.

Not necessarily. It depends on the size of the pool and the size of the SWG. Right now other factors dictate my run time (e.g. solar). In the winter, I can easily go down to one hour per day and still produce enough chlorine.

Hadn't tested the water with the DPD-FAS test in two weeks. Just used my DPD-only color matching. So the other day I did a 1:1 dilution on the DPD test and was still reading 5ppm. Sure enough the DPD-FAS test titrated to 10ppm :shock: The cooler weather plus summer run schedule plus no one swimming ran the FC up. Now I'm at 40% output on the SWG and 5hrs pump run time. I suspect I'll be at 6-7ppm when I test again in another day so I'll probably bring the SWG down another 10% and cut an hour off the pump. Last winter I was running ~2 hrs/day and 20% and I still had more than enough FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you follow TFP recommendations you will use an oversized SWG. For example right now I'm running an AquaRite T-15 for 7 hours at 40%. I could achieve the same chlorine output with 80% for 3.5 hours, or 100% for 2.8 hours. Since I have a VS pump and can run the pump at a slower speed at a much lower cost, it's no sacrifice to run the longer times. In fact, in total I run my pump 17 hours a day, most of it at 1000 rpm (100 watt).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.