Air coming out between wall and pressure cleaner attachment

Dec 28, 2008
Houston, TX
When I first turn on my pressure cleaner after it has been off for a day, a large amount of air spills out from between the wall and the cleaner fitting/regulator. It takes about 30 seconds before you start to see the bubbles after the cleaner pump comes on and stops after about a minute. All the connections at the pad seem ok. My theory is that after several hours with the SWG on all the bubbles are being diverted up the cleaner suction line and are trapped it the U. When the cleaner first turns on, it pushes all of it out. Everything is stable after few minutes and it can't be repeated until its be off for a long while. My pb didn't seem to have a clue and was going to send out a tech. Has anyone seen this issue?

The symptoms you describe are most commonly caused by a very small leak in the pressure side plumbing. These leaks can be tricky to find, particularly when they are very slow leaks.

The SWG is supposed to be installed after the water for the booster pump is drawn from the return. If this is not the case, your SWG bubbles theory is possible.

I've almost convinced myself that all the air is due to the cleaner line being plumbed after the SWG since there is no significant amount seen when the SWG is left off. My next question would be if having this much concentration of hydrogen in the line posses any risk? Likewise, I wonder if all that gas being purged from the system at one time would be in a concentration high enough to ignite. I might be speculating a little too much here, but I keep thinking back to the old water hydrolysis experiment in school.

Yes, there is some risk. You never want any significant amount of hydrogen gas accumulating.

The booster pump really ought to be drawing water from before the SWG. Switching the location where the booster pump draws water would be the obvious solution. To fully fix it, you would need to dig up the current booster pump feed line and cap it off right near where it splits off of the return pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.