Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Commerical pool in a Residence. Go big or Go Home, we are in TX!

1. Back To Top    #1

Commerical pool in a Residence. Go big or Go Home, we are in TX!

Hi,
    We are building our first pool. This has been a labor of love in design for me for over 2.5 years. I do interior design work and have the opportunity to do our own backyard oasis and am so happy we have started.

I started with just a sketch on paper before we even closed on our home.
    This sketch we took to a few builders here to get quotes on. Then we knew how expensive my little sketch cost.
    So take us to 2 years later to save up and finally be ready to start this process again, we again interviewed a bunch of builders and decided on one.
    When we chose TPP ( shortened) everything was great up until after we signed the contract. And then it took them a month to file for permits, a month to pay for permits, and then they came out after they took our first deposit and told us they wouldn't warranty the spa equipment I purchased from Germany. (They gave me the ok prior to purchase with no issues) Anywho....I want to focus on the positive.
    So now I am have teamed up with Aquatica, Mike McIntyre is a Design Architect RLA ASLA whose work includes the current under construction Vans skatepark in Boston, US Olympic Skate park, and has worked with Tony Hawk, and Rob Dyrdek; Discovery Channels Monster Garage, and currently now my monstrosity. As well as world renowned pool designer Skip Phillips who was also overseeing the project to ensure its perfection.
    So now I have a great team behind me....now it off and running...or swimming.
    Here is the photobucket link

40K Gallons, IG, Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue with Shimmering Seashells, NPT Tile 1x2 Artic Lagoon, Paramount Infloor cleaner, 5- Pentair Intelliflow VS-3050 pumps 2- Pentair Whisperflow 1.5 pumps; HEATER: Pentair Master temp 400 btu LP LOW NOX, Filter: Pentair clean and clear 520 Cartridge; CLORINATOR: Auto Feed Pentair Model 320; SANTITATION: Paramount Ultra UV Lamp 230V; Ozone Oxidation Paramount Clear 03; Pentair Intellibrite Color LEDS; COLORCASCADE 8 color LED bubbler (6); Pentair Screen logic; HYDROTHERAPY SPA equipment is from FITSTAR Hugo Lahme in Germany. It consists of one air bubbler pad, a gush shower, and a water cannon. There are also 6 hydroptheraphy jets from Waterways.
    Pool started construction on 8/12/15
    Auto filler; City Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Commerical pool in a Residence. Go big or Go Home, we are in TX!

https://www.facebook.com/PRinteriordesign/posts/916549708426764 Is the latest photos

- - - Updated - - -

And please if someone can help me in how to post more photos I would love to attach more and show more but It says I am at my limit.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

As far as posting photos, there are two way to post more. One is to become a supporter, or you can use something like photobucket and post the IMG link in your comments.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

It's best to upload the photos to a photo sharing website or cloud drive service and link them in the post using the picture icon rather than directly attaching them to the forum post. Junior members get very limited storage space and even long time members tend to link photos.

Welcome to TFP!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP We are very glad you are here.

I see you have a puckinator listed. You'll want to remove all the pucks from it as soon as your CYA gets up to 40 or so. Then switch to bleach or liquid chlorine. I also, see a UV unit. Is that dedicated to the spa area? If not, you really don't need it. It provides little sanitation and will cause your chlorine demand to increase. I also, see you have an ozone generator. Is that dedicated to the spa area? If not, you really don't need it.

There will be more folks along to provide more details about these things.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Curious what hose 2 things are on the back wall of the hot tub? Thalasso/hydrotherapy water features by chance?

Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you I opened up an account and downloaded the link to my above post thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes so Pool suite is very limited as to what they can do, so they wanted to show the approximation of the gush shower and the water cannon on the back wall. The spa has now been sunk into the pool as well.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP. We look forward to seeing this project completed. Should be the envy of all your neighbors. Welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Welcome to TFP We are very glad you are here.

I see you have a puckinator listed. You'll want to remove all the pucks from it as soon as your CYA gets up to 40 or so. Then switch to bleach or liquid chlorine. I also, see a UV unit. Is that dedicated to the spa area? If not, you really don't need it. It provides little sanitation and will cause your chlorine demand to increase. I also, see you have an ozone generator. Is that dedicated to the spa area? If not, you really don't need it.
    There will be more folks along to provide more details about these things.

Hi. I will share this info with Mike and ask him. I am glad there are people out there that know what the heck they are talking about, newbie and THANK YOU for the advice. Any advice is welcomed.

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree with Bob (pabeader). Unless your pool/spa are tucked-up so far under cover that they don't receive adequate sunlight, the sun is all the UV you need for oxidation - especially here in our area. The chlorinator may seem like a stress-free way to manage a pool ( I used to think so) until we learn after using pucks for just one season that the stabilizer content from each puck builds-up our CYA level so high that it requires a heavy water exchange to lower the CYA. They don't tell you those things at your friendly, local pool store.

- - - Updated - - -

You might also like to read this post: Bromine vs UV Lamp: Better than Chlorine..?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP

Am I reading your signature correctly, do your have five (5) IntelliFlo pumps (3HP) and two (2) WhisperFlo (1.5 HP) pumps ???

You certainly have a beautiful pool design but why would you need seven pumps ???

And yes, I agree with the others above - the inline chlorinator is a bad idea as it will cause a build-up of stabilizer unless you plan to do lots of water exchanges (drains & refills) every season. As well, the UV/Ozone systems for residential pools are ineffectual at best. You can certainly go ahead and ask your designer, Mr. McIntyre, about what we suggest but I can almost guarantee you that he will respond with the following statement, "Oh never mind what those yabow's on the 'inter-webs' say...who ya gonna trust? Me or bunch of slack-jawed, mouth-breathers sitting behind their computers all day??"

I know you're in the pool build phase right now and water chemistry is the furthest thing from your mind, but I can tell you without reservation that water chemistry is the single, most important factor in pool ownership. You want to get it right up-front so that you're not stuck with sub-standard systems later. The best way to discuss this with your builder/designer is to educate yourself by reading PoolSchool and searching TFP for things like "inline chlorinator", "high CYA", "alternative sanitizers" and "UV/Ozone". Then you will know what we all know and be better prepared to refute the nonsense that many PBs out there push on people building pools.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but don't get too drawn in by this guys "credentials" and all the "spectacular" things he's built. That's great that he has such wonderful experience, but this is your pool and your money, therefore you want to do what's in your self-interest and not what is necessarily his preference. He should be designing and building what YOU want, not what he prefers.

Good luck!!

Matt
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Your title made me laugh, and I agree with you...TX has the best pool designs! I'll be following this thread for sure. Congrats on the build.
    Completed new pool & spa in Pasadena, CA Oct 2015
    14' x 25', raised bond beam for water feature
    deck jet, Baja step, 7'x7' spa
    Pentair equip, saltwater, EasyTouch remote system

13. Back To Top    #13

Today is crazy they are pushing for Pebble Sheen to be done tomorrow. Hoping for no rain. We Installed our Werever Cabinets yesterday and Im doubting the trades will get it all done for tomorrows Pebble Sheen day. Going insane over here.

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow! They are moving right along! What happened to pics of the dig, rebar, gunite, tile etc? Did I miss them?!

Oops... I just saw your Photobucket link. Looks awesome!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Are there any finished pictures of this pool? Beautiful!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools