Connection Difficulty with Polaris

YesRushGen

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Suffolk, VA, US
Hello,

I have a Polaris 280 running off of booster pump connected to a dedicated return line. It splits off right before my SWG manifold/cell.

Last year, it became increasingly more difficult to connect AND disconnect the quick disconnect to the wall fitting. (Even with the main pump turned off) All here with similar connections are familiar with this insertion. You press the QD into the wall fitting far enough to engage the two little pins, which then lock into place after twisting the QD clockwise. Removal is the opposite, press in, and twist counterclockwise.

Towards the end of last year, it was almost impossible for us to make the connection. In the rush to "do something," I had the "not-so-bright-in-hindsite" idea of lubing the QD's o-ring with some Magic Lube. Bad idea. Although the first 2 or 3 connections/disconnections were amazingly smooth, the interface began to gum up after several uses.

Now, at the start of this year, both the QD's o-ring and the interior of the wall fitting have a tacky, sticky, gummy feel to them.

Based on experience with the above, treating with additional Magic Lube may help immediately, but not in the long term.

Does anyone have any advice on how to restore the interface to near-new conditions?

Thanks,

Kelly

Are you using the blue magic lube or the red? I'm betting blue, which leaves a teflon gunk all over everything once it gets wet. Wipe that out, replace the QD o-ring, and use the red silicone lube for your o-rings in the future.

spishex said:
Are you using the blue magic lube or the red? I'm betting blue, which leaves a teflon gunk all over everything once it gets wet. Wipe that out, replace the QD o-ring, and use the red silicone lube for your o-rings in the future.

Yes, it was definitely the teftlon-based (blue) Magic Lube.

Replacing the QD o-ring will be easy, however, the inside of the wall fitting has a sticky feel to it. No doubt, that is a fine layer of the teftlon gunk. Any ideas how I might be able to clean that out, given that it is submerged in the water?

Thanks,

Kelly

It can be unscrewed. You'd probably have to clean it in some sort of detergent to get the teflon off, and you don't want to do that in the pool. If the tabs are at all worn you might just go ahead and replace it. They're only $5 or so. Polaris pn 6-500-00.

Okey dokey, I will attempt to remove the wall fitting, inspect, clean and replace if necessary.

I've seen the assembly diagrams and see where the wall fitting can be unscrewed. Hopefully I can get it off. With as hard as I have to twist the QD to disconnect it, I am surprised the wall fitting hasn't ALREADY come unscrewed. lol

Thanks,

Kelly

Look closely at the wall fitting and you'll see that it is hex shaped. This makes it pretty easy to grab with a large pair of Channel-Lock type pliers. :) There may be a blue or red flow restrictor behind the fitting, to control the flow through the Polaris. Be sure that you reinstall it before putting the QD fitting back into the wall.

FWIW, I've found that my Polaris connection works best when I don't use any lube at all on the O-ring. Magic Lube seems to make it almost impossible to connect or disconnect. :(

Yes the fitting does come out, they take mine out when they close it down for winter.. but just make sure you put it back the same way. because when i put mine back i did not have the ears the same way and its much harder to put in if your turning it from a different position. I have it right now.
I hope i don't have your problem to look forward.
Jim

HarryH3 said:
...FWIW, I've found that my Polaris connection works best when I don't use any lube at all on the O-ring. Magic Lube seems to make it almost impossible to connect or disconnect. :(

Yeah, that's what I'm finding out. :( My decision to use lube on it at all was because the connector was getting so finicky without any kind of lube. I tried it on a whim last year, and was amazed at how easy it was to connect/disconnect the first few times. THEN it gummed up and made it even more difficult.

I guess the long term solution is maybe just replace the o-ring after it becomes finicky?

Thanks for the extra info regarding the wall fitting. I'll look closely at the Polaris diagrams before I try to pull it the QD out!

Kelly

Hi all,

I've been so preoccupied with with my SWG issue, that I haven't had much time to look into this connection/disconnection issue.

I have inspected the wall fitting, and it is definitely NOT hex shaped on the outside. It is secured by four phillips head screws. Looking at the wall connection diagram in step 1 of the manual at the following URL, my UWF does not resemble the one in the diagram. Further, I can feel right through the UWF, and there is no restrictor disc behind my UWF. Is it safe to remove the four screws? It looks to me like that's the only way the UWF is coming off.

http://i.poolproducts.com/pdf/Polaris280.pdf

Last night, I really needed to run the polaris. I was unable to make the connection because it is so gummed up. Unfortunately, the only way I could think to force it in was to use MORE of the Magic Lube on the o-ring. Short term, worked like a champ - the QD went in the UWF like butter. But I know long term I've just made worse an already prolonged problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.