Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Covered the pool the other day

  1. Back To Top    #1

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Covered the pool the other day

    Sad day again this year, Water and air is just too cold now plus with the leaves that are falling the daily cleaning would be a chore.

    Aquadoor on the skimmer. Plug also in the return.



    Barrel floated into the middle and tied off. You can see how many leaves are falling now. This is about 10 min of leaf fall. Will have to skim again.



    cover on. I also stretched a leaf net over the cover and have it pulled tight so the leaves will not be in the water and will blow off.

    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,998

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    Yep, it is definitely leaf time! Booooo for winter!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Montville NJ
    Posts
    545

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    How do you like that snap on Aquadoor? Does it leak at all?

    I use a plate on my skimmer. You remove half the screws, put the plate on, and then replace the screws. It works great, but it is a bit of a pain at opening and closing. Also, I hate the idea of dropping in a screw, because that is something you have to go in and get, not drag it up with a leaf net.

    -dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

  4. Back To Top    #4

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    The aquadoor comes with a special opening that replaces the screw plate the Haywards come with. (the frame inside the pool) It has a lip on it that the cover snaps over similar to a Tupperware lid. Sometimes I see a bit of seepage but, the pool never looses the water level over the course of the winter. This one is going on 13-14 years and in the spring I simply remove it after the pump is connected and start the pump
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    My brother n dad use that system n always lose water. Why, I don't know... maybe it's them but I always drain. I've had my pool closed since September n I miss it already! Let's hope the winter goes fast!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  6. Back To Top    #6
    JoeSelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Glassboro NJ
    Posts
    321

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    You have to get the door on all the way. Mine used to leak until this year I tapped on the rim of where the door locks over the face plate with the back end of a screwdriver under water. I would always have a little seepage. This year, really tight and I keep checking and have not had any water passing yet this year.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Montville NJ
    Posts
    545

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    I go back and forth about keeping the plate I have, going with that snap on, or going with the skimmer plug type closure.

    The plate I have is a bit of a pain, but it is an steel plate, with a foam backing. No worries about it popping off or leaking. Now my return plug, that's a different issue - that did come out one year.


    -dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

  8. Back To Top    #8
    PaulfromCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    27

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    I go back and forth about keeping the plate I have, going with that snap on, or going with the skimmer plug type closure.

    The plate I have is a bit of a pain, but it is an steel plate, with a foam backing. No worries about it popping off or leaking. Now my return plug, that's a different issue - that did come out one year.


    -dave
    Dan---Great idea with the barrel

    We used the screw plate for the first time this year, holding tight---no leaks. I totally agree with Dave, I was terrified I would drop a screw---Water was 58 degrees. Yes, it was a PITA (my neighbor has the aquadoor version and was done in 2 minutes) but I like the piece of mind of the screws (and I don't have an aquadoor skimmer plate).

    Dave, what happened to your return plug? Was it the one screwed in with an o-ring. Just curious on your experience as a return plug out would be A LOT of water in our yard.
    24' X 54" round AGP with Uni-Bead Portofino Liner - 25 Gauge, partially in-ground. Hayward Perflex EC-40 D.E. Filter System 1-HP Power-Flo Pump. Installed Spring 2014.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Montville NJ
    Posts
    545

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulfromCT View Post
    Dan---Great idea with the barrel

    We used the screw plate for the first time this year, holding tight---no leaks. I totally agree with Dave, I was terrified I would drop a screw---Water was 58 degrees. Yes, it was a PITA (my neighbor has the aquadoor version and was done in 2 minutes) but I like the piece of mind of the screws (and I don't have an aquadoor skimmer plate).

    Dave, what happened to your return plug? Was it the one screwed in with an o-ring. Just curious on your experience as a return plug out would be A LOT of water in our yard.
    I have an Agualuminator in my return - it's a light. It does not use a normal threaded fitting, the fitting is smooth on the inside, so I cannot use a threaded plug on the return. I have to use a rubber stopper. It's like a big rubber cork with a compression bolt in it, that you tighten with a wing nut. You put the plug in and crank down the wing nut until it is tight. Last year my pool froze deep enough that it froze around the wing nut. the ice shifted and pulled the plug out. I could actually look down the edge of the pool and see the plug embedded in the ice.

    -dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

  10. Back To Top    #10
    PaulfromCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    27

    Re: Covered the pool the other day

    Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    I have an Agualuminator in my return - it's a light. It does not use a normal threaded fitting, the fitting is smooth on the inside, so I cannot use a threaded plug on the return. I have to use a rubber stopper. It's like a big rubber cork with a compression bolt in it, that you tighten with a wing nut. You put the plug in and crank down the wing nut until it is tight. Last year my pool froze deep enough that it froze around the wing nut. the ice shifted and pulled the plug out. I could actually look down the edge of the pool and see the plug embedded in the ice.

    -dave
    ahhh. Ice is some pretty powerful stuff. I am going into my second winter with the pool and remember the paranoia/anxiety last winter (attached).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' X 54" round AGP with Uni-Bead Portofino Liner - 25 Gauge, partially in-ground. Hayward Perflex EC-40 D.E. Filter System 1-HP Power-Flo Pump. Installed Spring 2014.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •