Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Metal Out...Or Not?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Hornell, New York

Adding Metal Out...Or Not?

Ok, experts, I got a new Spa in July. I have city water. Pool store added metal out on initial fill, saying I needed it, and will require it with each fill, as "you never know if there are metals in your city water". About to change my water, and need to know if I really need it, or if pool store is really just wanting my . Don't want to do the wrong thing and not add it if needed, but don't want to add stuff I don't need. Thanks for your help
    18 foot round AG vinyl 9,000 gallon pool, Hayward Perflex 1 hp pump, DE filter. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. Pool new July, 2014.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Adding Metal Out...Or Not?

Take a water sample to the pool store and ask them to test for metals. Maybe two different stores with the same sample if you want to compare results.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Adding Metal Out...Or Not?

i use one cap (3/4" dia x 3/4" high) of Spa Choice Metal Free and 2 caps of Sea Klear Spa every week in my 7x7 spa. my local pool shop (leslies) tells me metal control in pools is most common, but doing as i do for spa is ok preventative. i dump my spa water every 3-4mo anyways. having it tested is always good. i get to fill my spa using soft water and some hard water.