Repairing Pool Tiles?

Alex_H

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2015
Hollywood, FL
The other day, 3 pool tiles (technically, parts of tiles) all came off the wall in different points. Two in one area, one in the other. There has been a crack in areas of the grout, and some weird calcium build up that I'm thinking is now a problem. Behind the "paper" sheet of the tile there appears to be a surface crack, which I'm guessing caused the tile to pop off.

I guess my question is: is this a crisis about to hit that I need to deal with? I've assumed that this is someone natural settling (pool is 8 years old), but I'm concerned that it is a more major concern.

If not, is there an easy way to just backbutter the tiles and repair them? I'm not in a financial position to retile the pool. I think the rule of thumb is every 10 years or so, so I'd like to stall a bit.

Thanks in advanced.

If not, is there an easy way to just backbutter the tiles and repair them? I'm not in a financial position to retile the pool. I think the rule of thumb is every 10 years or so, so I'd like to stall a bit.

Thanks in advanced.
I don't know if this is approved or not, but that is what I did when some small mosaic-type pieces came loose,
using a thin-set mortar specified for use in watery areas. So far they are still on! Just be sure first to clean the space on the wall and the
back of the tile, and also grout the joints well.

Pool tiles usually pop from freeze-thaw but in FL that's not your case. If you had a structural issue, you would probably see the substrate cracking behind the tiles.

If you don't see that, I would chalk it up to "one of those things" and put them back on with thin set and then regrout. Clean the substrate and back of the tile as well as you can for a good bond. I have always used plain thin set and did not realize there was one available for pools......that sounds like a good idea.

There looks like a small surface crack that went behind the tiles, it doesn't look like a real structural crack, but I'm slightly concerned. I'll grab a picture.

I'll pick up some pool thin set, because since I'm picking up thin set anyway, might as well get the right one.

I'm slightly concerned that over the summer when the water level dropped from the drought and my failure to maintain it, the slight crack is real... The fact that three of them popped off (two in one part, one in another) at the same time has me concerned. I guess I'll re-attach and home while keeping an eye on it.

Thanks,
Alex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.