Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Abandoned return?

1. Back To Top    #1

Abandoned return?

I've got this in my pool wall... I'm assuming it is a return that got clogged? It was left that way after a replaster right before I moved in. I have no leaks, and there is no water movement from that pipe.

Two questions:
    - Is it worth getting a cheap USB camera and seeing what's in that pipe?
    - I've got 3 other returns (green checks). The only circulation problems I seem to have are stuff not moving to the skimmer from the deep end, and stuff gathering on the bottom about a foot from the main drain. Should I have 4 returns in a pool this size, or is 3 enough?

8200g IG, Diamond Brite Plaster, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Pentair Pump, TF-100, Rainbow 320 Inline Tab Chlorinator [not used]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Abandoned return?

That looks like my Polaris line. Are you sure there isn't a valve someplace turned off to this return?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Most likely a vacuum line or a pressure cleaner line.

4. Back To Top    #4

Interesting. I only have a single jandy valve, between the skimmer and main drain. But I DO have a stub of a pipe sticking up near those pipes that is capped. I wonder if that was originally a vacuum line.

8200g IG, Diamond Brite Plaster, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Pentair Pump, TF-100, Rainbow 320 Inline Tab Chlorinator [not used]

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by dmorriso View Post
    Interesting. I only have a single jandy valve, between the skimmer and main drain. But I DO have a stub of a pipe sticking up near those pipes that is capped. I wonder if that was originally a vacuum line.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    Yep, it's intended for a pressure side cleaner (could also be used as a vacuum port). This was a fairly common practice not long ago.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

6. Back To Top    #6

I had one of those too at my old place....it ended at a disconnected pipe in the pump room.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    I had one of those too at my old place....it ended at a disconnected pipe in the pump room.
    Did you do anything with it, or just leave well enough alone?

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, right now with no plug it is an area of little to no circulation. This could become a breeding location for algae. I see it you have two choices:

1. Get a threaded plug for about $3 at lowes and plug the pool end of the pipe.

2. Tie that pipe in with the other returns back at the equipment pad and put an eye on the threaded end. Probably less than $25 in parts.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dmorriso View Post
    Did you do anything with it, or just leave well enough alone?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Just left it alone.

The pipe in the pump room it came from was much narrower than the return lines, so I didn't think
    of making it into another return jet.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.