Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to vacuum every day??

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to vacuum every day??

Hi guys/gals
    I have a question, I am vacuuming my pool at night because there is dirt in it, but the next morning there is more dirt in it.. When i get done vacuuminf i back flush it and dirty water comes out,
    Is the filter not doing its job, is the dirt going right through the sand filter.. Seems kind of weird to me that in the morning i have dirt in the pool,,, No wind or anything..
    I vacuum very slow so i don't stir anything up.. MY pool is crystal clear to
    Does anyone have any idea's what is going on.... Just wondering if i should open up the sand filter and see whats going on in there...
    thanks Jim
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to vacuum every day??

Couldn't hurt to see if you have channeling in the sand, broken lateral, etc. You are probably aware that with a clear, balanced pool you don't have to backwash the sand filter each time you vacuum. Wasting chemicals and making it tougher to keep the pool chemistry balanced. Rather, wait for pressure increase.

Kelly
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

3. Back To Top    #3

If the filter is letting debris through, you can usually see debris, or at least cloudiness, coming out of the return while you are vacuuming.

A different possibility is that the FC level is a little too low, and algae is constantly getting started and then dying, with the dead algae accumulating on the floor of the pool each day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    A different possibility is that the FC level is a little too low, and algae is constantly getting started and then dying, with the dead algae accumulating on the floor of the pool each day.
    I noticed that when I started using the Liquidator that my vacuuming frequency went down. Even though the water had been clear before, apparently the uniform dosing does a better job.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Hayfarmer,

I believe Jason and John have hit the nail on the head. Even in a crystal pool, dying algae can leave "dirt" or residue on the bottom. My bet is you have let your FC get a little low intermittently and allowed some algae to start.

This time of the year in NC, the trees throw something into the pool 24/7. Don't know if you have that issue in Washington now or not.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the input, but i really think that it is dirt. I FC level has not dropped to a level to get algae. In fact i am still waiting for it to get to normal level. Its hanging around 7.50 or 8.0 ppm and my CYA is about 40 to 45.
    I live in the country, could there by that much dirt in the air that settles at night.
    If i leave the Polaris going in the pool, i don't see the dirt. i think it keeps it stirred up so it does not settle to the bottom.
    thanks Jim
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.