Cartridge filter cleaning, a lesson learned

Aug 29, 2012
San Diego
Thought i would share a little fun i had today. You see, the last pool guy that i had said that we should clean the filters when the pressure gauge starts to rise...:confused:, no need to do it more than that. After a series of dramatic events, we found a new pool guy :D. The new pool guy informed me that the filters should be cleaned about 2x per year. I figured that since it had been 2 years since the last cleaning, it was time, the picture tells the rest. Flow is much improved ;)

(sorry about the rotated images)

pool filters.jpg

I use a Hayward C1200 filter with similar style cartridge. Even with a pressure gauge, I make it a habit to rinse my cartridge out about once a month - especially in the summer when the bugs and swimming is at their peak. Good thing you looked for yourself. :goodjob:

Hi timbozi,

Everyones cleaning cycle might be a bit different. Just depends how much stuff gets into the pool and how large the filter is.

For some folks, cleaning it twice a year may be fine, for others, they may need to clean it each month.

Using time as a measure to know when to clean your filter doesn't really offer much in terms of whether the filter needs cleaning or not.

TFP recommends cleaning your filter when the pressure rises about 25% above the "clean" pressure. Here is a link which is located in Pool School about it.
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

What did yo use to clean them? It worked very good and I would like to do the same when mine are in need.

Used a brass sweeper nozzle (Amazon and HD have them). Placed the filter on top of an inverted 5 gallon bucket and sprayed top to bottom in sections, rotating the filter. Problem now is that my lawn is going to think that i want it to grow...

If your pressure gauge does not register a noticeable difference after cleaning those filter cartridges you should replace the gauge.

Dom

OK, it's never risen above 10 psi, will look into that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's exactly how I clean mine as well. I've tried the TSP/dishwasher soaking to try and extend the life of a filter, but by the time I was done with all of that, it was just as easy to order a new filter on Amazon.com. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Now I see from your other post you have the quad-filter set-up which is why you can get by with longer intervals between cleaning (along with watching the pressure). I just a have a single cartridge, so mine fills-up a bit sooner. Nice looking pool on your other thread. :goodjob:

OK, it's never risen above 10 psi, will look into that.

TFTestkits.net (as well as some other vendors) sells some really nice replacement gauges that have a higher degree of precision. You want to get a glycerine-filled pressure gauge that reads 0-30psi in 0.5psi graduations. Glycerine is better than water, as it does not freeze and it's higher viscosity keeps the needle from bouncing around.

I just got one of those glycerin gauges from tftestkits..they are fantastic and not much more cost than a standard gauge.

I was annoyed by the bubble at the top of the gauge, but for my sand filter, the bubble left and right
edges are exactly where the needle should be after a backwash is done and on the right where it gets to when its time for a backwash.

convenient!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.