Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filter cleaning, a lesson learned

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filter cleaning, a lesson learned

Thought i would share a little fun i had today. You see, the last pool guy that i had said that we should clean the filters when the pressure gauge starts to rise..., no need to do it more than that. After a series of dramatic events, we found a new pool guy . The new pool guy informed me that the filters should be cleaned about 2x per year. I figured that since it had been 2 years since the last cleaning, it was time, the picture tells the rest. Flow is much improved

(sorry about the rotated images)

pool filters.jpg
    22k gal - PebbleFina/Plaster - Jandy Stealth 2spd - Jandy CV460 Cartridge - N2 Fusion SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge filter cleaning, a lesson learned

Yeah I would say they needed to be cleaned!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Wow, yeah it was just a tad bit dirty for sure. On the bright side, it cleaned up nicely, though.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yah, i was pretty disgusted. Even the pool guy was like "wow, i'm surprised your pool looks so clean!" (he stopped by when i was in the middle of this). Question, how long on average do these filters last?
    22k gal - PebbleFina/Plaster - Jandy Stealth 2spd - Jandy CV460 Cartridge - N2 Fusion SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If your pressure gauge does not register a noticeable difference after cleaning those filter cartridges you should replace the gauge.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I use a Hayward C1200 filter with similar style cartridge. Even with a pressure gauge, I make it a habit to rinse my cartridge out about once a month - especially in the summer when the bugs and swimming is at their peak. Good thing you looked for yourself.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi timbozi,

Everyones cleaning cycle might be a bit different. Just depends how much stuff gets into the pool and how large the filter is.

For some folks, cleaning it twice a year may be fine, for others, they may need to clean it each month.

Using time as a measure to know when to clean your filter doesn't really offer much in terms of whether the filter needs cleaning or not.

TFP recommends cleaning your filter when the pressure rises about 25% above the "clean" pressure. Here is a link which is located in Pool School about it.
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

What did yo use to clean them? It worked very good and I would like to do the same when mine are in need.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Timbozi,

This is my post on "lessoned learned" from my last cleaning.

Dave

2 years since filter cleaning and SWCG inspection. How does it look?
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    What did yo use to clean them? It worked very good and I would like to do the same when mine are in need.
    Used a brass sweeper nozzle (Amazon and HD have them). Placed the filter on top of an inverted 5 gallon bucket and sprayed top to bottom in sections, rotating the filter. Problem now is that my lawn is going to think that i want it to grow...

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    If your pressure gauge does not register a noticeable difference after cleaning those filter cartridges you should replace the gauge.

Dom
    OK, it's never risen above 10 psi, will look into that.

11. Back To Top    #11

That's exactly how I clean mine as well. I've tried the TSP/dishwasher soaking to try and extend the life of a filter, but by the time I was done with all of that, it was just as easy to order a new filter on Amazon.com.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I see from your other post you have the quad-filter set-up which is why you can get by with longer intervals between cleaning (along with watching the pressure). I just a have a single cartridge, so mine fills-up a bit sooner. Nice looking pool on your other thread.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by timbozi View Post
    OK, it's never risen above 10 psi, will look into that.
    TFTestkits.net (as well as some other vendors) sells some really nice replacement gauges that have a higher degree of precision. You want to get a glycerine-filled pressure gauge that reads 0-30psi in 0.5psi graduations. Glycerine is better than water, as it does not freeze and it's higher viscosity keeps the needle from bouncing around.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

I just got one of those glycerin gauges from tftestkits..they are fantastic and not much more cost than a standard gauge.

I was annoyed by the bubble at the top of the gauge, but for my sand filter, the bubble left and right
    edges are exactly where the needle should be after a backwash is done and on the right where it gets to when its time for a backwash.

convenient!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have one of the glycerin filled gauges too. I love that thing. Much much better than the cheap OEM one.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!