Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light GFCI tripping a few minutes after reset

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light GFCI tripping a few minutes after reset

Hello,

My pool guy says that my pool light is leaking causing my breaker to trip and he says I need to replace the housing and/or gasket. I checked this weekend but when I reset the breaker and turn on the light, the light comes on and stays on for a minute or two before tripping the breaker. Shouldn't the breaker trip right away if the light was in fact shorting out?....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light GFCI tripping a few minutes after reset

I would say, yes, it should trip right away if that is indeed the case. Mine tripped after new install after a big rain and my electrician suspected the GFI itself because sometimes they get faulty ones. Just a thought
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

This seems to be fairly consistent. Reset the breaker, turn on the light and a minute or two later it trips...this happens over and over (well I tried different scenarios about 4-5 times anyway).
    15 x 30 free form plaster w/ spa, in floor cleaner, Laars LT propane heater, (2) 3/4 hp Whisperflo single speed pumps, Pentair filter, Jandy valves, AquaLink

4. Back To Top    #4

Take the light out and see if there's any water in the housing. If so, get a new gasket (they are cheap) and apply some silicon lube and then see what happens. It's also possible that your light bulb itself is faulty. Less possible that it's the wiring. There is a way to test the GFI but it's not something you should do if you're not an electrician.

Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21