Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help on air blower's fitting and adaptors

1. Back To Top    #1

Help on air blower's fitting and adaptors

I want to close my pool myself. I just bought a pool blower: Cyclone Vacuum and Blower - 3 HP - Vacuum And Dust Collector Accessories - Amazon.com

Could anyone tell me how to connect it to the pool pipe. I want to connect it to the pump house inlet. Is this right? Which hose/fittings/adaptor should I buy or make to blow the water out of pipe?

Thanks.

--Yang
    2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help on air blower's fitting and adaptors

Did you already purchase this? It is less expensive on line at other places.

Although, looking at the combination on Amazon, it appears that everything is there that you need from the hose to the skimmer. In the description it is for the Hayward Dyna-Skim automatic skimmer model SP1091LX. The male adapter has to thread and fit in the skimmer and also adapt to the 1.5" hose.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Please see thread on what I did:

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

The Cyclone is a beast! No other words to describe it. If you could post some pictures of your equipment pad and piping, this would help us put you in the right direction. You will need a 1.5" hose (see post as it has everything that I needed). If you can adapt to the pump as I did, or possibly work through the unions. If there are unions, you will have to take them apart and push air through the system. The last resort, which many people do is through the skimmer. You will need to thread in an adapter to the skimmer basket and push air back to the equipment pad and through the plumbing. The setting on the multi-port should be on "recirculate". Then when done, you can winterize the filter.

Essentially, the cyclone is moving a large volume of air through the system and you are removing the water out of the skimmers and return jets. The main drain will bubble for about 45-60 seconds and then you close off the valve and create an "air lock". Systems are not all the same and it is important to determine how your pool and pluming is set up.

How many skimmer(s), return jets, main drains, and valves (and what do they control) is always helpful.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by yangcha1 View Post
    I want to close my pool myself. I just bought a pool blower: Cyclone Vacuum and Blower - 3 HP - Vacuum And Dust Collector Accessories - Amazon.com

Could anyone tell me how to connect it to the pool pipe. I want to connect it to the pump house inlet. Is this right? Which hose/fittings/adaptor should I buy or make to blow the water out of pipe?

Thanks.

--Yang
    That cyclone is a BEAST,,, I threaded 1.5 inch pvc fitting (the cyclone has 1.5 inch female threads),, a short piece of 1.5 inch pvc to a 1.5>2 inch adapter,, then connected that to my skimmer/main drain line,, blew out the skimmers & main drains. Then connected to the return side and blew out the 3 return lines.

I repeat, that cyclone is a BEAST
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dw9000 View Post
    That cyclone is a BEAST,,, I threaded 1.5 inch pvc fitting (the cyclone has 1.5 inch female threads),, a short piece of 1.5 inch pvc to a 1.5>2 inch adapter,, then connected that to my skimmer/main drain line,, blew out the skimmers & main drains. Then connected to the return side and blew out the 3 return lines. I repeat, that cyclone is a BEAST
    Did you hard pipe from the Cyclone with 90 degree elbows down to the skimmers? Just curious. I had a 6 ' flexible hose with a modified cover at the pump. Quick and Easy. Watched the PB do it the first time and that was the last.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    Did you hard pipe from the Cyclone with 90 degree elbows down to the skimmers? Just curious. I had a 6 ' flexible hose with a modified cover at the pump. Quick and Easy. Watched the PB do it the first time and that was the last.
    I have 2" flex pvc coming into the pump inlet with a 2" threaded union.
    I put a scrap piece of 2" flex hose on the 2<1.5" adapter, which the 1.5" went into the cylcone. So I was able to blow both out the skimmer & main drain from that connection, then connect it to the pump intake and blow out the equipment and return lines.
    Seemed to work well, I will find out next spring.
    Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

This looks easy to make. Where did you get the 2" flex hose? I have bought 5 feet flex pvc pipe from Lowes:

Shop Samar 1-3/4-in x 1-ft PVC Spa Flex Hose at Lowes.com

It is very hard and cannot be bent into the pump intake. By the way, your signature says " 2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC", what's that for? Is its OD 2", otherwise how to connect it to pump intake?

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by dw9000 View Post
    I have 2" flex pvc coming into the pump inlet with a 2" threaded union.
    I put a scrap piece of 2" flex hose on the 2<1.5" adapter, which the 1.5" went into the cylcone. So I was able to blow both out the skimmer & main drain from that connection, then connect it to the pump intake and blow out the equipment and return lines.
    Seemed to work well, I will find out next spring.
    - - - Updated - - -

Yes, I bought it about a month ago from amazon, it was about $100 less. Thanks for the tips.

I did a test run in the weekend, it IS powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    Did you already purchase this? It is less expensive on line at other places.

Although, looking at the combination on Amazon, it appears that everything is there that you need from the hose to the skimmer. In the description it is for the Hayward Dyna-Skim automatic skimmer model SP1091LX. The male adapter has to thread and fit in the skimmer and also adapt to the 1.5" hose.
    2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by yangcha1 View Post
    This looks easy to make. Where did you get the 2" flex hose? I have bought 5 feet flex pvc pipe from Lowes:

Shop Samar 1-3/4-in x 1-ft PVC Spa Flex Hose at Lowes.com

It is very hard and cannot be bent into the pump intake. By the way, your signature says " 2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC", what's that for? Is its OD 2", otherwise how to connect it to pump intake?

Thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I bought it about a month ago from amazon, it was about $100 less. Thanks for the tips.

I did a test run in the weekend, it IS powerful.
    Yes, when I ran the pool plumbing I used the 2" ultra flex PVC (off Amazon for about $2 per foot). I had a few pieces left over, 3 or 4 feet. It makes it much easier to connect the cyclone to the pool plumbing because you don't have to be straight on. I think maybe you buy this at some plumbing supply houses,, but just as easy you could plumb the ridgid 2" pvc and do a 90',, you don't even have to glue it, dry fittings should hold just while blowing.
    So coming out of your cyclone would be a 1.5" male thread, with a short 1.5" piece of pipe, to a 1.5" > 2" adapter,, a short piece of 2", a 90' then a short piece of 2" to either side of your pump (assuming you have a union on both sides). Probably like $20 in pvc stuff from lowes.
    Last edited by dw9000; 10-13-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: said Ebay instead of Amazon by accident
    Cartridge Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I would never pay that price for something that you can use only for blowing out your pool lines. You can use a good shop vac.

I have a DeWalt compressor that I use and it only cost me around 300.00 but it can be used with power tools and lots of things. I even use it to winterize my lawn sprinkler system lines.

Use a pressure fitting screwed into the pump drain hole and blow your lines out from the pump.

Also use one-way pool blow out valves and you don't have to drain your pool down. You can do this by yourself. Air will blow out the one way valves but will not allow water to go back into the line. They are 4.00 to 6.00 each and well worth them.
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.
    Polaris 380 auto cleaner. Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

TGMcCallie:

While no one could disagree with you on the price, the Cyclone is a professional pool blower. It is compact and very portable, just as is a small air compressor. When clearing out the sprinkler lines, my air compressor tank has to be filled up twice. I have an adapter for the sprinkler lines and in less then 5 minutes, my lines have been cleared out. It took over 30 minutes with the air compressor. With the modified cover, this quickly adapts to most Hayward pool pumps. My purchase was not just for my pool, but for many of my friends pools, etc.

Is it worth it? Probably not. It is like the Large Snow blower that own purchases for $1,500 and does not see an inch of snow for 5 years, or the car insurance we pay but have not used in 20 years. IMHO, it was well worth the $$$$. The biggest issue is how to adapt the 1.5" flex hose to the system. Most air compressor's adapt with the fitting at the pump. Take care.