Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get return plug out

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get return plug out

I've broken two of those tools trying to unscrew the return plug so that I can replace it with the winter plug. Any suggestion of either how to get it out or if I can't on what alternatives there are. Thinking of plugging it with a sponge and duct tape.

Attachment 43332

Attachment 43332

not sure how to get rid of the duplicate photo. Posting on my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get return plug out

Never mind. I just went and got a whole new replacement unit. Hopefully there will be no issues with that.
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Stupid question, but are you turning the correct way? Looking at the damage (tear) on the tool, it almost looks like you are using it to turn it clockwise. Not trying to offend just something I might do.

They should be turned counter-clockwise to come out. Mine were stuck this too, but fortunately didn't take a lot of effort to get out.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Eddy:

I would wrap a small thin towel and use pliers (grip firm, but not too tight) and then turn clockwise. I used these originally to close, but they leaked. Put them on so tight, this was the only way to remove them (by hand they were not budging), then went back to the rubber plugs. Thanks!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

5. Back To Top    #5

It does look like you were turning the tool the wrong way. Try a metal piece in the grooves and turn counterclockwise.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I guess if you were outside of the pool, from up above, it would go opposite than if you were in the water, facing the plug. Makes sense that it would be easy to turn it backward.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I've done it myself a couple of times when trying to unscrew something while looking down over it, instead of being in front of it. LOL it seems like Righty Tighty, and Lefty Lucy, tends to get somewhat Bassy ackwards from that angle.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

8. Back To Top    #8

I tried both ways. I busted the tool out of frustration I think after finally trying to see if I was going the wrong way the first time (I started counterclockwise). It's all good now, I replaced the whole piece from the front and back. Thanks all

9. Back To Top    #9

I have had to replace entire unit also. Now I coat the threads of the eyeball piece with majic lube (the ouside fitting has teflon tape), makes removal easier at end of season.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale