Replacing a skimmer with a (small) cascade

Hi all,

My first post, but this looks like a great forum for getting help and advice! I'm based in France, so probably can't get a lot of the brands people might use, but I'm sure it'll be great for general advice.

Anyway, my reason for posting...

The guy who installed our pool messed up the water level and ended up fitting the skimmer way to low in the wall. It's not the end of the world, it looks a bit like a Turkish bath instead of a swimming pool because the water level is about a foot below the pool edge, but it's OK. That said, it does annoy us we'd still like to fix it.

Because we sprung a small leak around the bottom of the skimmer at the end of this summer, one idea we had was to possibly fill in the hole where the skimmer is completely and make a (very small) infinity edge type arrangement instead. Because of the way the pool's done, it's in ground but standing out of the ground by about 2 feet all round, so it'd be pretty easy to cut a piece out of the containing wall on one side (the top few inches are just mortar, not reinforced concrete, and I'm talking a few feet here, not the whole edge), there's space for a decent-sized catch basin underneath and I kill two birds with one stone - no more leaky skimmer AND the water level problem is fixed.

I realise a full on infinity edge pool is a complicated thing, and you can't just do it with existing plant, but because that's not what I'm at here - I only want to make a small cascade a couple of feet wide to pretty much directly replace the skimmer and also look nice. And it's a pretty small pool too. So I'm wondering if it would be OK to do this with the existing plant, and just route the skimmer pipe to the new drain in the bottom of the catch basin? Providing the cascade is small and the catch basin is more than big enough for surge, etc. I can probably balance the three valves I have to get the right amount of flow going over the cascade. I can't think of any reason why it would be much different to just replacing the skimmer, but I figured there'll be people on here with the necessary experience. Maybe someone who's even done exactly this?!

Thoughts, warnings, advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Right, finally found a moment to sort out some pictures! Here's the pool, you can see the skimmer and how low it is in the side. (Builder's excuse was he couldn't put it higher because the terrace is a concrete slab, but in reality the terrace is only about 3 inches thick and he simply messed up by not checking the levels before setting the height of the skimmer - it could easy be 6 inches higher - but anyway...)

So hopefully my crude illustrations show what we have in mind. Block up that skimmer entirely and cut a small "waterfall" where I've marked into a basin, a bit like a vanishing edge pool, but with only about 3 feet of actual "vanishing edge"...

What do you think? :)

DSC00181.jpg DSC00182.jpg

WOW! Any of the three could work for you.

I do have to ask you............do you WANT to do the "waterfall" idea you posted? It could look neat and sound pretty as well. I do not know if it will work for what you want. I am sure someone else will have an idea about that.

Let us know if you like any of Yippee's ideas or if really want to do the "waterfall". We can go from there.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.