Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in my heliomatic solar heating system

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in my heliomatic solar heating system

My brother noticed a steady stream of bubbles coming out of the holes in the sides of the pool where the solar system water normally enters the pool (there's probably a technical term for them but I don't know it) and told me it looked like there was air in my pool system. As he is younger than me I hate it when he's right, but since he has more experience with pools I figured I'd take his word for it (don't tell him I said so). When I turned off the solar system the bubbles stopped so that does seem to point to the solar heater, doesn't it? Any ideas?
    Pool is an in-ground 15' x 15' pool that is on average 4 ' deep. I have a Pentair SUPERFLO high performance pump (1 speed) and a Heliomatic-Matic HM4000D solar pool heat controller, whose output is 24 vac.0.8AMP, and input is 120/240 VAC. The pool has a pebble finish. I live in Las Vegas; the pool was installed in 2007 and the new pump installed in May.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in my heliomatic solar heating system

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    My brother noticed a steady stream of bubbles coming out of the holes in the sides of the pool where the solar system water normally enters the pool (there's probably a technical term for them but I don't know it) and told me it looked like there was air in my pool system. As he is younger than me I hate it when he's right, but since he has more experience with pools I figured I'd take his word for it (don't tell him I said so). When I turned off the solar system the bubbles stopped so that does seem to point to the solar heaterE, doesn't it? Any ideas?
    Oops, just noticed: when timer turned off pool pump, bubbles stop bubbling. Does that indicate problem with air in pool pump or still could be air in solar heating system?
    Pool is an in-ground 15' x 15' pool that is on average 4 ' deep. I have a Pentair SUPERFLO high performance pump (1 speed) and a Heliomatic-Matic HM4000D solar pool heat controller, whose output is 24 vac.0.8AMP, and input is 120/240 VAC. The pool has a pebble finish. I live in Las Vegas; the pool was installed in 2007 and the new pump installed in May.

3. Back To Top    #3

Tell him to backwash the filter and see if that helps. If so, he needs to watch the filter pressure and make sure it does not get above 1.25x the clean filter pressure.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Same problem here.

As a result, the auto vac has essentially died. Its just hovers now.

I think that there is a loose fitting somewhere in the solar collector plumbing which is sucking in air due to the volume of the water flowing through the pipes. Its probably somewhere up high where the gravity from the falling water is overcoming the pos psi in the plumbing. I can't see where else the air could be coming from.

The two inlets (bottom and skimmer) can't suck air as they're both underwater. And the return flow from the collectors rejoins the plumbing downstream of the pump/filter/SWG.

Any thoughts and ideas welcome.

Dude.
    8-10,000 Gallon In Ground Pleasure Pond. Probably 15 (?) years old.
    Recently new Groovy Blue Vinyl liner. Newer Hayward DE filter and Aqua-Rite SWG system.
    Eight Passive Solar Heating Panels. 1HP single speed motor.
    Virginia Beach, VA.