Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool light leak fix

1. Back To Top    #1

pool light leak fix

My pool light is leaking, very possibly thru the conduit where the light cord enters at the back of the light niche. I found this cord stopper that can fix the leak without messing with epoxy:

Cord Stopper for Underwater Swimming Pool Lights - PoolCenter.com

However, I can't find any instructions on the web on how to install the cord stopper. Does anyone on this board have experience installing the cord stopper?

Thanks.pool light conduit.jpg
    Fremont, CA
    16K plaster IG pool with spa
    cartridge filter, SWG, solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: pool light leak fix

Hi Yuyiwen,

I've never used these. I don't even have a light in my pool . So I can't say if they do or don't work, but here is a link that says "slide on power cord and push into conduit" and it has a couple of pictures that might help you get it figured out. http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-738-cord-stopper.aspx

Hopefully someone who has used one will come along, and tell you if they work or not.

NOTE: If you do decide to attempt it, remember Safety 1st, so don't forget to throw the breaker.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Have a wonderful day.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I've used one twice. Once it worked, the second time it didn't it slides over the cord and bonding wire and pushes into the conduit hole at the back of the light niche. It's cheap, you can do it under water, so it's worth a shot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi OldPoolMan,

Good that you had hands-on experience with cord stopper. I attached a picture of my pool light in the original post. Do I remove (slide up) the original cord stopper (highlighted by the red pointer) and push in the new cord stopper?

Thank you!
    Fremont, CA

5. Back To Top    #5

Is water entering the light housing? The cord stopper is to prevent water going out the niche through the conduit which is what the light fixture sits in. If your trying to fix the light fixture the cord stopper is not for that.
    You might need a new gasket or some marine epoxy for around the cord.

6. Back To Top    #6

You are right, mmirav! I am trying to fix the leak to the light housing itself. So, cord stopper is not the right choice. No wonder I could not find a way to install it Epoxy cures hard and the movement of the cord is going to break the seal, right? I will try to use silicon caulk to seal the cord area and see if it works.
    Fremont, CA

7. Back To Top    #7

Google nrs g/flex epoxy. Its a flexible marine epoxy. That might do the trick. Also it may be the gasket in the light fixture that is leaking.