Hobbies ?

Kids activities, woodworking, cave or wreck diving.

2 of the 4 Adirondacks I have made for next season.
Hope to have the loveseat version and foot stools done by spring too.
20151027_143117.jpg

Table and banquet seat.
20151027_143154.jpg

Do you ship to AZ ;) Nice chairs, they're beautiful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pabeader, that is the way the original Adirondack were made. Camp chairs made from whatever was at hand.
Mine are based on Norm Abrams design; made from cypress with stainless hardware. I wanted something that would last a long time.
I bought rough lumber, planed and rough cut it in one weekend then turned out one a week after that.
Have been sidetracked with Cub Scout wood projects lately (14 birdhouse kits for 6 yr olds) but I should be back into the shop for love seat soon.
Somewhere in there I am supposed to be building cabinets for my home office. The non-pool season is busy around here.

oz for the bird houses----are you making the parts for the kids to put together like a kit? Will you show them how the wood started out and how you cut it to size? Being VERY aware of how 6 yr olds are............I know of just getting them all to stand in one place is hard enough! I just LOVE to show my Kindergarten kids how things start out and what it takes to get to the finial product.

Kim

I made the kits with alignment marks and pre-drilled nail holes so they could be assembled in 45 minutes by 6 yr olds. (And we did it!)
For what it was worth, I explained why we would select this particular wood (cedar) for an outdoor project. Board selection and fastener location to plan for cupping and expansion. Glue type and fastener type (galvanized nails) for outdoors.
Also went into what type of paint to used, if they chose to paint at all, to be bird friendly (Low VOC, and now on the inside surfaces).

I'm sure they absorbed more that they appeared to.

At the end I got them to write their names on their hammers, which I took home and engraved so they could have a memento 'first tool'
Maybe I got a new woodworker started in there somewhere,

I made the kits with alignment marks and pre-drilled nail holes so they could be assembled in 45 minutes by 6 yr olds. (And we did it!)
For what it was worth, I explained why we would select this particular wood (cedar) for an outdoor project. Board selection and fastener location to plan for cupping and expansion. Glue type and fastener type (galvanized nails) for outdoors.
Also went into what type of paint to used, if they chose to paint at all, to be bird friendly (Low VOC, and now on the inside surfaces).

I'm sure they absorbed more that they appeared to.

At the end I got them to write their names on their hammers, which I took home and engraved so they could have a memento 'first tool'
Maybe I got a new woodworker started in there somewhere,

That is AWESOME! Nice job on the why and whats! I love the "first" tool with their names on them! Talk about going over and above!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Searched and found this thread, so I thought I'd necropost on it.

I have a ton of tech-related hobbies. I've been running multiple multiplayer game servers since 2007. I have about a dozen domains I keep active, some with forums (nothing as big as TFP though, most online users at once was 62 on one of my forums). I run a couple of websites for animal rescue in my area. I have a fairly widely used app on the App Store. I love messing around with servers, networking gear (I have enterprise class gear at home), etc. If "it" deals with computing in any sense, I'm probably interested in "it."

I'm also an avid homebrewer. I've won a handful of medals and also a pro-am competition.

My biggest "hobby" is probably dogs though. I love dogs. Grumpy ones, happy ones, dumb ones, smart ones; I love them all.

I have a ton of other interests I dabble in for fun. Early in this thread Duraleigh said he was "mediocre at many, many things. Some day, I would really like to find that one thing I can do well..." To that I'll say this: there is a common saying "jack of all trades, master of none." However there is a second, often omitted part to that phrase I've always enjoyed, which reverses the meaning: "jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." :D

Wow, what a bunch of great hobbies. I like flying our C-182, hunting, fishing, shooting, off roading, wake board/surfing, and I've been learning guitar for about 1 1/2 years. Not near as good at it as some on here who have posted videos.

I do some astronomy/astrophotography on the cheap. Here's a montage of some shots i took from my driveway:

Jupiter_Saturn_collage_25pct.jpg

temporary_zps5ki8ycut.jpg

I don't have a real AP rig, so the quality is nothing like what you'd get with a good setup. These were just hand-guided with a cheap dobsonian and a digital camcorder, trying to see what I could do with what I had on hand:

Pdr_0113_zpsjnbiya6v.jpg

Nice job, jeffchap. I've photographed with everything from an 8" Celestron to a 24" observatory Cassegrain. I always referred to it as a hobby for people who got tired of splitting hairs for a hobby.

Keep it up and post more if you have them, please.

Will do. I actually have a newer HD camcorder to use now that should give better results. But we've been so cloudy and rainy this summer, I haven't had a chance to try it out. And then there's the time involved. As I'm sure you know, you spend 3x as much time post-processing images as you did capturing them.

BTW Thimble, I see you're in Wichita. Have you ever been to the Okie-Tex star party?

Those are some pretty cool shots!! I haven't had as much time lately to pursue my hobbies, (spent a lot of free time in the pool, lol) though I did host a Sip and Paint for my friends and family a few weeks ago. They already want to do another.
2e679aa2326cd8f8f0acf00645184f02.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.