Should I increase my TA?

I'm new to this forum and my pool is new as well. Yesterday my pH was 8.2 and TA was 70. I used pool math and added the recommended dosage of Muriatic acid; tested again today but there was no difference. I added more acid than the calculator recommended and after some hours my pH had dropped to 7.2 and TA 60.
The rest of my test results are:FC 6ppm, CC 0, CYA between 40 and 50 (2 tests), CH 850. (I don't know why CH is so high, my tap water is 75).

Should I increase my TA using baking soda as recommended by Pool Math, to keep my CSI above -0.6. to avoid problems with the plaster? Is the CSI calculated by pool math accurate?

This site has helped me a lot in getting started. Thanks to all of you who keep this forum active.

I have just taken over the maintenance from pool builder who was using tablets. I haven't had to add chlorine yet but will be using Kemtek liquid chlorine.

If your tap water is truly 75 for, CH, then the PB was probably using Cal-Hypo 3" tablets to have such a high level and/or calcium scaling.

CH 850. (I don't know why CH is so high, my tap water is 75).

Adding washing soda, soda ash or borax will also raise TA. Maybe aeration to get you PH up and leave TA alone. There are "aeration devices" that attach to the return jets, like waterfalls that are relatively inexpensive. I spent all summer lowering TA, and hopefully next season, everything will stabilize.

Amazon.com : Splash-A-Round Pools SEC385 Waterfall Spray Pool Fountain : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden

A bit more expensive than Borax and I may bite the bullet next year so I can speed the process up for myself.

Thanks Catanzaro, I guess running my spa overflow or waterfall at full capacity should achieve the same purpose right? I have let it run for a full day, will check the pH this evening to see if it worked.

You have to experiment with your aeration devices. Yes, it will increase PH, but by how much? Only time will tell. The longer the run time, the faster the rise. PH may not rise as fast as one may think. I know my 4 rotating heads that break the surface for 12 hours straight will rise the PH from 7.5-7.6 to 7.8 almost every 4 days. A lot of pools keep a steady PH at lower TA levels then the recommended range of 70-90, which is perfectly fine. You have to find your sweet spot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.