Closing: Lower Water Before of After Winterizing?

Sep 10, 2015
NC
I have a 17k IG pool in NC with a very high CYA level. So, weather I drain now or next season, I'll have to drain. So, the plan is to drain now.

If my pool is 17k and I have a 17k winterizing kit, do I use the full kit or do I use the amount based on how many water I will have after I winterize? (12k)?

Should I lower the water before treating or after?

I did read the suggested post but didn't find an exact answer.

Thanks
Steve

(I realize many may not like the kits but it was free based on coupons, etc. So, might as well use it.)

I would only use 12K worth of the winterizing kit. The only issue is that once you drain, how are you mixing the chemicals? It is recommended to have PolyQuat-60 algaecide mix for 24 hours as a safeguard. You may have to use the whole kit, mix it properly and then drain to the appropriate levels to reduce your CYA.

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature. Thanks! :party: :lovetfp:

What's this winterizing kit consist of? Usually they are more of the same magic potions that tfp recommends against. Check out the closing instructions sticky. All you really need is to bump your fc level up, drain some water, and blow out all the lines. Maybe add antifreeze to the lines if you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would only use 12K worth of the winterizing kit. The only issue is that once you drain, how are you mixing the chemicals? It is recommended to have PolyQuat-60 algaecide mix for 24 hours as a safeguard. You may have to use the whole kit, mix it properly and then drain to the appropriate levels to reduce your CYA.

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature. Thanks! [emoji14]arty: :lovetfp:
The cya will not lower by draining the pool. The cya wiil be the same.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It will be lower when they add fresh water in the spring, but the remaining water this fall will still have the same cya, and require a higher fc level when closing. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, forgot to add that part. Yes, CYA will only be reduced when mixed with fresh water in the spring. Depending on the cover you have and how much rain water and snow you receive, the process will happen slowly.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Below are the included items;

• Closing kit includes 1 pint terminator algaecide, 1 quart super rust and scale, 2 lbs burst shock
  • Material: Plastic
  • 1 Pint terminator algaecide - kills and prevent all types of algae
  • 1 Quart super rust and scale - prevents and controls staining by removing iron and other stain-causing metals from your pool
  • 2 Lbs burst shock - zap organic pollutants, bacteria and algae with this powerful shock treatment
  • For 15000 gallons
  • Everything you need to close your pool for the winter and ensure a beautiful-looking pool in the spring

Here is the product (though this is not where I got mine): Blue Wave Dichlor 15000 Gallon Pool Closing Kit & Reviews | Wayfair

My vote would be to return it or throw it in the trash. The rust and scale treatment is most likely unnecessary unless you have had such issues in the past. If you have scale issues, those should already be being addressed. The algaecide most likely contains copper, which is bad because it causes stains. Maybe that's why the first product is in there. The dichlor shock is gonna raise your cya, which you are attempting to lower. Return or discard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.