Still swimming?

Re: Still swmming?

Me too.....mid 90's all week. Water temp at 80 degrees at 8:00 pm Wednesday evening. A little crisp getting in, but the chill was worth it, floating on my back looking up at the clouds floating across the sky. Mid October, night swim in SoCal.....What else is there to say.....

Water temp is slowly dropping here down to 76. Air temp is supposed to be 80 again on Wednesday, so hoping to get another weekend to swim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The solar alone wasn't keeping the water in the 80s, so I added my "bubble wrap" cover. The pool is back up to 84 today. There should be another month or more of swim season. We usually quit swimming sometime after Thanksgiving, and start again about the first of April. Although I could probably keep the water temp acceptable longer, we just don't swim when the air temp drops.

My pool temp is 71 at noon today, too cold for me! I HATE the cold. The desert area I live in has some high peak temps (85 today) but cools down quickly after that to around 55 at night so that my average temp is low. Not going to spend tons of money for gas to heat it any more, but the spa is quick to heat with my 400K heater, so that is my go to during the cooler months here.

Down to 58 and noticed my freeze protection on pump timer kicked in last night as I noticed pump running early in morning. Another first for my new pool!
going to be a long winter...

I know this is an old post/thread but your comment did not make sense to me. Freeze protection circuits for pool circulation don't need to kick in until the air temp drops below 40F (mine is set to an air temp of 38F). If your freeze protection is kicking in at 58F, that is set way too high and means you'll be running your pump excessively during the winter.

Now SWG usually have a cold water cut-off down in the 50's. Mine IntelliChlor throws a cold water cut off at 52F I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the pool is 58 degrees, and the air temp dropped below the setpoint for the pump?

Yup. Just checked the historical weather data and it looks like there's been at least one or two nights that have dropped into the 30's during the time frame around that post.

So yeah, sounds like it's probably set to the right freeze protection value.

We surprisingly are still swimming.

My son and I jumped in yesterday - Air temp was 78, pool at 74. I think these are really the last few days we will be able to swim comfortably, but you never know in coastal California...

I am quite curious what adding Solar Heating would do to our pool. This year I can't imagine we would want to swim much into November as that is generally when the daytime temps start to chill more...November starts next week! If we had Solar we could probably keep the water at closer to 80 deg right now...Today looking at iAquaLink it shows the pool is 72.

We are still debating putting solar on the roof at all. I do wonder if solar would allow us to swim a lot earlier in the Spring, and since this is our first time with this pool I guess I will see how spring goes. We will be doing our version of the polar bear club on Jan 1 I hope...

Solar works best for the "elbow" months - early April and late Oct-Nov. If you get a solar heating system with a large enough array of panels and pair it with a decent bubble cover, you can easily add lots of heat to the pool (assuming good clear weather) and keep your pool in the 80's well into Nov. Friends of ours have solar + auto cover and they opened their pool in late March this year. Once the sun gets too low in the sky (Dec-Feb/Mar), no practical amount of solar paneling will heat the pool.

I know this is an old post/thread but your comment did not make sense to me. Freeze protection circuits for pool circulation don't need to kick in until the air temp drops below 40F (mine is set to an air temp of 38F). If your freeze protection is kicking in at 58F, that is set way too high and means you'll be running your pump excessively during the winter.

Now SWG usually have a cold water cut-off down in the 50's. Mine IntelliChlor throws a cold water cut off at 52F I think.

The water temp down to 58, air temp that night went down to low 30s and pump kicked on. Sorry for the confusion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.