Test kit

Jul 22, 2015
Poway, CA
Hi, new here.

I just bought my house with the pool in my signature and the previous owner mentioned the water is two years old, the pool store tested the water and I am at 1000 in total soiled.

I would like to start from scratch.

I have been reading that the tf-100 test kit is the one to buy. I wanted to make sure this is the correct one and to start a slam on the pool. I current only have the test kit that measures chlorine and PH.

I do all of the pool mantinace and I am having trouble with yellow algae on the on the walls.

i am running the pump 2500 rpm for 6 hour a day for 7 days. The pool has two skimmers, one has a restricter insearted and the other has the rainbow skimmer for the pool cleaner. The filter were just cleaned a day ago.

Thank you for your advice and help!

Peter

Welcome to TFP!!

Water does not get old, no need to replace it unless there is somethng that can't be corrected.

Ignore TDS (Total Dissolved Solids), that is a pool store problem made up to scare you into buying stuff you really don't' need.

How does the water look?

The TF-100 PLUS up it to the XL as you are going to need to SLAM your pool. I will post a link to that. You will be doing a LOT of testing so........the XL is your best bet to have what you need. Look in my siggy to see where to buy the kit from.

Here is the link to how to SLAM your pool. The MOST important thing on a SLAM is the Maintain part. Maintain the FC at or just over the SLAM level.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

For right now shop around to find your best buy on bleach (yeah bleach! Neat huh???) make sure it is at least 8%. Check the date code to make sure it is fresh. Walmart is one place to get a good price, Sam's and Costco also have good prices. Most of the time Lowes and Home Depot have older bleach so be careful with the date codes there.

For now you can add a jug of bleach a day and brush your pool right after. That will help keep your pool from getting too much worse.

Let us know when your test kit gets there.

Kim

Hi Peter, and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

+1 I agree with all them ^^^^^^^^ :)
I also just wanted to say that we're all glad you're here. Feel free to ask any questions you have along the way because we're all here for you. Congrats on your new home and pool. Have a wonderful day :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I just received my complete test kit.

Here's are my results which I have know idea what it means.

I will start my slam next week as I have business travel.

Chlorine drop test 8ppm
Combined Choramines .5
Calcium hardness 1500ppm
Total alkalinity 50
CYA 90

daily test
chlorine 5cl
PH 7.5

Thanks for all of your help!

Numbers look fine, except CH 1500 is way high. Did you put an extra 0 in there? CYA is a little high for a SLAM, but manageable. Lower pH to 7.2 before you start your SLAM.

Here is the SLAM process. Follow it exactly. The chlorine/CYA will tell you what level to bring your chlorine level up to for your CYA of 90. Starting with lowering your PH to 7.2.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

So my min. FC should be 7, target FC should be 10 and the shock FC should be 35. How much Chlorine do I need? Also how much acid should I put in the pool to lower to 7.2?

Thank you,

PoolMath page will give you all the answers. You are going to use it quite a bit so you might as well get started now and if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

So on the pool math just to make sure I am correct.

FC target shock is 49 for mustard algae so that would be 21-128oz jugs of bleach? For normal FC target is 7-10? So do I maintain 49 FC level for the duration of the SLAM or maintain the level of 35 FC?

Also, I have to add 51oz of acid to reduce my PH. How long do I have to wait to add the Chlorine after the acid?

Thank you for the pool schooling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.