Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Test kit

Hi, new here.

I just bought my house with the pool in my signature and the previous owner mentioned the water is two years old, the pool store tested the water and I am at 1000 in total soiled.

I would like to start from scratch.

I have been reading that the tf-100 test kit is the one to buy. I wanted to make sure this is the correct one and to start a slam on the pool. I current only have the test kit that measures chlorine and PH.

I do all of the pool mantinace and I am having trouble with yellow algae on the on the walls.

i am running the pump 2500 rpm for 6 hour a day for 7 days. The pool has two skimmers, one has a restricter insearted and the other has the rainbow skimmer for the pool cleaner. The filter were just cleaned a day ago.

Thank you for your advice and help!

Peter
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test kit

Welcome to TFP!!

Water does not get old, no need to replace it unless there is somethng that can't be corrected.

Ignore TDS (Total Dissolved Solids), that is a pool store problem made up to scare you into buying stuff you really don't' need.

How does the water look?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF-100 PLUS up it to the XL as you are going to need to SLAM your pool. I will post a link to that. You will be doing a LOT of testing so........the XL is your best bet to have what you need. Look in my siggy to see where to buy the kit from.

Here is the link to how to SLAM your pool. The MOST important thing on a SLAM is the Maintain part. Maintain the FC at or just over the SLAM level.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

For right now shop around to find your best buy on bleach (yeah bleach! Neat huh???) make sure it is at least 8%. Check the date code to make sure it is fresh. Walmart is one place to get a good price, Sam's and Costco also have good prices. Most of the time Lowes and Home Depot have older bleach so be careful with the date codes there.

For now you can add a jug of bleach a day and brush your pool right after. That will help keep your pool from getting too much worse.

Let us know when your test kit gets there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Peter! I also recommend the TF-100, and you should also consider the "speed stir". It makes mixing a breeze and much more consistent. Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Hi Peter! I also recommend the TF-100, and you should also consider the "speed stir". It makes mixing a breeze and much more consistent. Welcome to TFP!
    +1
    The TF-100 is a great value and has saved me $100's on Chem's- the Speedstir rocks and i feel like a mad scientist every time i use it.
    Forgot, welcome to TFP
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Hi Peter, and Welcome to TFP,

+1 I agree with all them ^^^^^^^^
    I also just wanted to say that we're all glad you're here. Feel free to ask any questions you have along the way because we're all here for you. Congrats on your new home and pool. Have a wonderful day .
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I need to get my money back on the speed reading course. I missed the yellow algae comment. Yes, TF-100 with the XL option to conduct a proper SLAM
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

How do I the XL version?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks already for all your advise. I may need you all when I do a slam as this is a new journey for me.

9. Back To Top    #9

You'll simply add it to your order from here: TFTestkits.net.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

You'll get a ton of help with your SLAM. Many, many members here understand it thoroughly and will guide you step by step.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Imracerx View Post
    Thanks already for all your advise. I may need you all when I do a slam as this is a new journey for me.
    Just let us know when you are ready and we will be there every step of the way!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, I just received my complete test kit.

Here's are my results which I have know idea what it means.

I will start my slam next week as I have business travel.

Chlorine drop test 8ppm
    Combined Choramines .5
    Calcium hardness 1500ppm
    Total alkalinity 50
    CYA 90

daily test
    chlorine 5cl
    PH 7.5

Thanks for all of your help!
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Numbers look fine, except CH 1500 is way high. Did you put an extra 0 in there? CYA is a little high for a SLAM, but manageable. Lower pH to 7.2 before you start your SLAM.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Hold on the SLAM if your CH is 1500. I would suggest you drain some water if it is that high. What is the CH of your fill water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, I am back from my business trip so I have the time to slam. Here are my updated results as of today. How much bleach or chlorine do I need?

FC - 4ppm
    CC - 1ppm
    TC - 5ppm
    CH - 725ppm
    TA - 110
    CYA - 90
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Here is the SLAM process. Follow it exactly. The chlorine/CYA will tell you what level to bring your chlorine level up to for your CYA of 90. Starting with lowering your PH to 7.2.

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Here is the SLAM process. Follow it exactly. The chlorine/CYA will tell you what level to bring your chlorine level up to for your CYA of 90. Starting with lowering your PH to 7.2.

So my min. FC should be 7, target FC should be 10 and the shock FC should be 35. How much Chlorine do I need? Also how much acid should I put in the pool to lower to 7.2?

Thank you,
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

PoolMath page will give you all the answers. You are going to use it quite a bit so you might as well get started now and if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    PoolMath page will give you all the answers. You are going to use it quite a bit so you might as well get started now and if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.
    So on the pool math just to make sure I am correct.

FC target shock is 49 for mustard algae so that would be 21-128oz jugs of bleach? For normal FC target is 7-10? So do I maintain 49 FC level for the duration of the SLAM or maintain the level of 35 FC?

Also, I have to add 51oz of acid to reduce my PH. How long do I have to wait to add the Chlorine after the acid?

Thank you for the pool schooling.
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

But you only want to go to regular shock so it's a lower number. I'm having trouble with Pool Math here at work...\

shock is 35 I think.

This link is easier for that... Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

- - - Updated - - -

30 minutes is good as long as you have good circulation with your pump.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see where you reported your current pH level...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast