Deep cleaning Dolphin polyester fiber filters

rdshackleford

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
Coatesville, PA
Does anyone have a recommended way to do a good deep cleaning of the fine polyester fiber filters used on the Dolphins (mine is a Nautilus Plus)? I always simply spray them with a garden hose ever each use. But for the end of season before I put the Dolphin away in storage, I'd like to deep clean and get as much dirt out as I can before storing them dry over the winter.

-R

Those instructions are a bit excessive if you ask me. As JVTrain says, a day soak in dishwash detergent will produce very good results.

The part about using MA on the filter is to remove calcium scaling that may occur in the filter. But if you maintain proper water balance, there wont be any scaling to worry about.

Having said this though, if you want to follow those directions, there is no harm in doing it.

This article applies generically to pool cartridge filters.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Cartridge-Type-Swimming-Pool-Filter

Among other things, it says at one point to soak in a bleach soltuion, and then later soak in a muriatic acid solution. Does this sound effective and harmless?

I agree. First expose it to excessive chlorine. Then expose it to excessive low pH. Then maybe TSP is the answer. I've heard TSP as one of those DIY down home, natural, and old wives tales recipes. Put it in vinegar. Put it in amonia. etc...

As far as I can tell, the Dolphin website says nothing more than hosing it off.

I think I will go with the dishwashing detergent answer, thank you.

-R

Those instructions are a bit excessive if you ask me. As JVTrain says, a day soak in dishwash detergent will produce very good results...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.