Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deep cleaning Dolphin polyester fiber filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Deep cleaning Dolphin polyester fiber filters

Does anyone have a recommended way to do a good deep cleaning of the fine polyester fiber filters used on the Dolphins (mine is a Nautilus Plus)? I always simply spray them with a garden hose ever each use. But for the end of season before I put the Dolphin away in storage, I'd like to deep clean and get as much dirt out as I can before storing them dry over the winter.

-R
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deep cleaning Dolphin polyester fiber filters

What I do is soak mine in a bucket or tub that will let me completely submerged the filters. In the warm water, I put in dishwasher detergent. I let them soak for 24 hours then rinse very well and dry. TSP (Trisodium phosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is a chemical you can use to clean filters as well, but so far I think dishwasher granules work just as well.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

This article applies generically to pool cartridge filters.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Cartr...ng-Pool-Filter

Among other things, it says at one point to soak in a bleach soltuion, and then later soak in a muriatic acid solution. Does this sound effective and harmless?
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

4. Back To Top    #4

what about washing in the dishwasher??

5. Back To Top    #5

Dont know anyone who has, but I would be afraid of the dishwasher because the heat might warp the plastic frame.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbiegull View Post
    what about washing in the dishwasher??
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Those instructions are a bit excessive if you ask me. As JVTrain says, a day soak in dishwash detergent will produce very good results.

The part about using MA on the filter is to remove calcium scaling that may occur in the filter. But if you maintain proper water balance, there wont be any scaling to worry about.

Having said this though, if you want to follow those directions, there is no harm in doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rdshackleford View Post
    This article applies generically to pool cartridge filters.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Cartr...ng-Pool-Filter

Among other things, it says at one point to soak in a bleach soltuion, and then later soak in a muriatic acid solution. Does this sound effective and harmless?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

This post is the one I first learned about how to clean cartridge filters (essentially same as robot filters) and I think is very comprehensive.

How to clean a cartridge filter
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree. First expose it to excessive chlorine. Then expose it to excessive low pH. Then maybe TSP is the answer. I've heard TSP as one of those DIY down home, natural, and old wives tales recipes. Put it in vinegar. Put it in amonia. etc...

As far as I can tell, the Dolphin website says nothing more than hosing it off.

I think I will go with the dishwashing detergent answer, thank you.

-R

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Those instructions are a bit excessive if you ask me. As JVTrain says, a day soak in dishwash detergent will produce very good results...