Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New booster pump making coffee grinder noise

1. Back To Top    #1

New booster pump making coffee grinder noise

Hi,

I just installed a new polaris booster pump PB4-60 and to my surprise, it makes an annoying coffee grinder noise! Is this normal?!
    John Rock
    16x32 rectangular IG vinyl pool, estimated 23K gal, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump and sand filter, solar heating panels with automated 3 way valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New booster pump making coffee grinder noise

Is it running without the cleaner connected?

Without sufficient resistance, the pump runs off its proper place on its head curve and is very loud.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes! I haven't bought the cleaner yet, just the pump since I'm in a pool rebuild and what to be "polaris" ready. So this is "normal"? Just wanted make sure it didn't purchase a defective product.
    John Rock
    16x32 rectangular IG vinyl pool, estimated 23K gal, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump and sand filter, solar heating panels with automated 3 way valve

4. Back To Top    #4

You shouldn't run it without the cleaner connected. It won't run or sound right. If you put the red or blue restrictor plate into the wall connector, that will provide sufficient resistance to test run the pump.

Also note that the main pump has to ben running to push a supply of water to the booster pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Even without the cleaner that sounds like it could be bearings. Try running it with the cleaner but if you hear the sound again shut it off and call the installer.

Build estimated completion October 2015, IG 21500 gallons, Agua Blue Pebble Tech,1xPentair Intelli Flow VSP, 1x3HP waterfall and slide pump, Pentair 520 soft cartridge filter, Nature 2 purification system, Pentair 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris 9550 Sport, Taylor K-2006.