Test reagents

Can anyone post the actual chemical content of the reagents and indicators used in the various
tests recommended here?
In addition the chemical reactions going on in the tests would also be very useful.
Apologies if this is already posted somewhere. If so, a link or references would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to Taylor Technologies
this may help,
dont forget - between r and number eg r-0870

Thank you.
Some are helpful, some are not. e.g. for R-0008, alkalinity reagent is listed as 95-99% dihydrogen oxide (!),
and 0.1-5% components below reportable levels!.
R-0004 also has 90-99% dihydrogen oxide and 0.1-5% trade secret, and 0.1-5% components below reportable levels.
Are they really selling us water, giving it a fancy name, and calling it a reagent? What are these other components?
Most of the others contain 90% water.

Also these do not include the chemistry behind the tests.

Last edited:
What you are asking for is why Taylor stays in business. Are you trying to duplicate the tests?

I can see many of the tests having water as filler to make the test work properly at reasonable levels.

What you are asking for is why Taylor stays in business. Are you trying to duplicate the tests?

No, just wanting to understand what is going on. Too much trouble to duplicate!
Not to worry, I will still buy the kits. I expect they will stay in business.
I am sure that details these tests can be found in most texts on water analysis and even used in HS or freshman
college chemistry lab classes. They are hardly on the level of nuclear secrets.

I can see many of the tests having water as filler to make the test work properly at reasonable levels.

Water at 90-99% is hardly "filler"! It is the major component.
I was also amused (and I guess a little galled) by listing the chemical name as deionized water and then the common name as dihydrogen oxide!
If anything it should be the other way round.
Especially as the instructions for first-aid say use water (not dihydrogen oxide;)).

Last edited:
See this post for chemical names and a little about what they do and this post for some rough shelf-life. Most tests are done via standard methods though each vendor has some proprietary chemicals to improve preservation of dyes or help prevent interferences. As for how various chlorine tests work, you can read Current Technology of Chlorine Analysis for Water and Wastewater.

Thanks once again!
I had already seen the paper, and I appreciate the links to old posts asking the same questions and the responses which are useful.

Interesting that others also remark about the some reagents being listed as 99% water and the rest some unknown
ingredients and the general evasiveness of some MSD Sheets! It's not just me then!
I would surmise that for some of the vials of reagent, the vial costs more than what it contains!
(And not just the Taylor ones).

this can be said regarding many products, have you bought a can of Coke lately?
Of course I am well aware of that fact. "Whataboutery" does not change what we are discussing.
The answer to your Coke question is actually no, but for reasons not relating to value for money.
There are many alternative beverages that I can buy, which may or may not provide better value, but not so many
choices for good swimming-pool-water testing kits. And the price/ounce of reagent is at least 10x that of Coke and approaches
the price of a decent Scotch (also mainly dihydrogen oxide, but 40% hydroxyethane plus tiny amounts of other substances)!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perhaps the better way to look at it is this - you are paying for the intellectual capital that was/is expended on making these products ;) Just because most of these dyes and indicators have been known for decades (in some cases, since the beginning of last century) doesn't make them worth less. Taylor has expended a lot of intellectual capital and ingenuity in bringing to market products that are quick and easy to use as well as stable and accurate. They may be formulating chemicals that are >95% water but it is that last 5% or so that took an enormous amount of effort to develop. They deserve to be remunerated for their hard work and willingness to take the risks to bring an excellent product to market.....and let's face it, if Taylor can't make a little bit of profit off their hard work, then their products will no longer be sold and you, I and everyone else on TFP will be in deep doodoo as a result ;)

Texaspops,

I guess I am trying to figure out your point. Are you saying that Pool water testing is a big rip-off?

Then don't test. Taylor, LaMotte, Hach, Blue Devil all offer reagents and testing methods but none of them force you to buy anything....ever

Pharmaceutical companies sometimes make terrific profits from a drug they discover but you are NEVER forced to buy it.

In each case, you make a choice whether or not the value returned to you is worth it.

Let's get this thread to a sharper focus or it will seem like you are simply complaining about something over which we really have little control........other than exercising our rights to purchase it or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.