Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic Pool Cleaner Recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic Pool Cleaner Recommendation

Hi all,

I have a new pool with a Polaris 380. I'm not happy with it. It gets hung up by stairs too often. Eventually, it does get free of the stairs, but it happens to get hung up a lot.

More importantly, I also feel like it misses spots every now and then. Sure, I can leave it running 24/7 and probably get good results, but I was thinking that I really should only need it running for a period of time each day. It supposedly does a full cleaning in 3 hours, but I haven't found that to be the case.

My first thought was that they must make automatic cleaners that have some kind of functionality to know where they've cleaned already and avoid missing areas. So, I did some research and found out the difference between a robot (what I think I want) and a pressure cleaner (what I have).

Am I correct that there are no robots out there that also can be hooked up to a booster pump for extra effectiveness/power?

Thanks in advance for any info and/or recommendations.
    In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic Pool Cleaner Recommendation

That would be true that you cannot hook a robot into the pool plumbing. Robots operate independently of the pool. They generally have their own little pump that propels the cleaner and scoops up the debris. You may want to research how much power the pump inside the robot has, and the capacity of the collection system to help you decide which cleaner you want.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Automatic Pool Cleaner Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    That would be true that you cannot hook a robot into the pool plumbing. Robots operate independently of the pool. They generally have their own little pump that propels the cleaner and scoops up the debris. You may want to research how much power the pump inside the robot has, and the capacity of the collection system to help you decide which cleaner you want.
    Okay, thanks for clarifying.

I also just realized that a plus with my current setup is that I'm able to include the cleaner as part of my pool's automation.
    In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.