Newbie From Perth Western Australia.

Good deal I'm glad to hear you got the pH down to a better starting range though. We encourage the pH adjustment prior to the Slam because once your chlorine level gets above 10ppm the pH test won't read accurately, it will read high, so now that you've finally gotten it down there's no need to check it again until your Slam is complete. :)

It's not uncommon to see the clouding after brushing during a SLAM (especially the 1st couple times) because you are getting all that algae off the bottom, and into the water, so the chlorine can get to it, and do it's job. Maintaining your pool at or above shock level to get it all killed out, and the constant filtration will take care of the clouding, so just keep doing what you're doing. :)

Any idea of when you will be getting your test kit in?

Hopefully sooner, Rather than later for the kit.. Im just trying to source a TFTkits one through a friend.. But time differences and the like are making things hard.

I will just keep cleaning and adding chlorine in the mean time. Its not looking too bad this morning.

12138491_10156155549680500_1622644121715786025_o.jpg

12113294_10156155549570500_6903297241888806660_o.jpg

Wow, looking excellent. If you knew what your chlorine level actually is and if it was at or slightly below shock level it would be safe to swim, but since you have no idea exactly what your chlorine level is, I'd wait on the test kit just to be sure. :) It looks with the 90 degree temps you had there today a dip in the pool would be mighty refreshing. :)

Are you still running the SWG too?

What % of liquid bleach are you using? Is it 12.5%

At the bottom of pool math is a cool little section called the Effects of adding chemicals. If you make sure your gallons are correct at the top of pool math, and then put in your 128 ounces, (for the 3.8 liters), and then select the appropriate % from the drop down in that section, click calculate, and it will tell you how much chlorine and salt that particular amount, and % of chlorine will add to your pool, so you will have a tentative level, but if the SWG is still running that will need to be added to that calculated amount too). Cool huh? :)

The pool is looking schmick! The Pool math also comes in metric units so you can adjust it so that we Australians can understand it- there is an adjustment on the top right hand side. What's you plan at the moment- how you getting on with the test kit?

Ok still waiting for my test kit but it's confirmed its now on the way.

I know it's not ideal but I Found a pool store that uses Taylor testing got them to rinse everything with my water first and these were the results..

Salt 5530ppm
Total Chlorine 5.0
Free chlorine 5.0
Ph 7.0
total alkalinity 10
calcium hardness 120
phosphate .3
CYA 0

Hi Scott,

Good to hear that the test kit is on the way. Not so sure that this is Taylor test kit testing, looks like typical dodgy pool store testing. Just wondering which Pool store you got it tested. Other than what you've been doing, don't do anything until you can get your own test kit and confirm results.

Jez

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok - I have used Clarke Rubber before and honestly I never really took much notice of what they were using for testing before I found TFP and got my own kit. I will say that they recommended I add a certain amount of calcium chloride after which I battled with calcium scaling last summer and when I received my Taylor 2006 it confirmed to me that my levels were way too high. Up to you mate but if your test kit is on its way I would wait the extra couple of days.

Hey Scott. My curiosity got the better of me after your post today about Clarke Rubber and I just had to go down to our local Clarke Rubber and I got them to explain to me in great detail their testing process, (whilst feigning that I was a complete novice).LOL. The system they showed me had a series of little tubes in a rack (like test tubes) each tube was for a different test. They then have a tablet for each type of test which they then mix with your pool water and then they use a computer which analyses the results (I think its called Aquadata, your print out from them will have Aquadata down the bottom) apparently they use a colour comparator system (or at least that's the way she explained it). Was that roughly the sort of process you experienced because the system she showed me was nothing like the Taylor system of pool testing? The woman also told me that the system is a common system used by all Clarke Rubber stores. Just wondering for example did she use use a powder for the chlorine which turned your pool water red and then use another chemical to make it clear, counting the drops as she went, and did she use a tube with a black dot down the bottom which she then poured a mixture of solution into whilst waiting for the black dot to disappear (the CYA test). I don't mean to say I told you so, but just wanted to confirm that the Taylor test was indeed the one they used because that being the case the results you have provided may have some validity and may give us something to work with while your test kit arrives from the US. Funny thing was she also tried to also tell me that only the Clarke Rubber chemicals are designed to work with their pool testing system. What a load of BS!

She used the Taylor reagents (well the were in a Taylor bottle anyway lol) from a Taylor test kit with the test jars as included in the kit that you see in the videos.
images

For the CYA she did the drop test looking from above for the black dot etc.

Once she tested she manually typed the results into the computer and then printed it out for me. She seemed super clued up didn't push anything on me and gave me advice on adding the chemicals slowly etc cos the recommended amounts were to much in one dose..

She was also cute :)

That being the case Scott it sounds like she has used the proper test kit- wonder if she is going against company policy!. Do you know if she used the FAS DPD test for chlorine, the one described above with the powder or did she use the colour comparator like the one in the picture. The only issue that I can see was that the CYA test with the black dot is designed to be done outside with back to the sun, (unless she did that as well)!! If so mate your onto something especially if she was cute and she seems to know what she was talking about!! Certainly your experience couldn't be any more different than the one I had this afternoon. Right we can possibly assume that your results may have some validity and you can also use their Taylor testing in the interim. Yay! Do you also mind if you get your water tested daily with them, mainly your FC and PH.

So we can assume that your going to have to SLAM as you have had the green pool. Are you still sticking about 4 litres of LC in the pool at the moment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support